small butts always bite back!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerseydrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
i have a small 2.5 lb butt in the smoker at 250* and it wont push past the stall, been in for 3 hours and it's stuck at 155*!!!! i might have to foil wrap to push it through. i was hoping to have this bad boy for dinner tonight...

just venting.

yeah i said heck with it and crutched it. foiled it up and blew right out of the stall. i's an hour later and she is now at 188* so i should have it done soon and about 1/2 hour to 45 minute rest. 

Couldn't take it anymore. Pulled it out at 188 put in the oven to bring it to 205. Gonna rest it for an hr and rip into it. Putting some COB on now to be ready with butt. If I remember to takes pics I'll give ya a look.

Hahahaha..... Patience is a virtue when it comes to the stall. Next time allow lots of extra time. I now allow for 2 hours per pound and a 2 hour rest. Hopefully that will always be enough but you never know.

Best Advice    Be Patient     Pork Butt, Briskets are always going to hit the stall, That temp will go up,  Just allow plenty of time and enjoy

Gary

I don't expect a butt to cook quicker than 2 hr's per pound and ain't surprised if it goes longer.  (225 - 250*).

I have cooked them higher heat but prefer the results gotten from just letting it take the time it needs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky