Small Brisket Flat (now with Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ghostred7

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
For a small flat ~4-6lbs...what approach should I take?  Is it still 1.5hrs/lb @ 225* ? 

My thoughts were to rub & plastic overnight. 
  • Bring to room temp when heating up coals, etc.
  • get a steady 215* and add wood for smoke on top of coals ala minion method (will heat up with 1st piece of wood most likely...so want to allow for temp rising.
  • spritz w/ apple juice about every hr or whenever i'm adding smoke (whichever is 1st)
  • take out @ 190* internal temp
  • foil, wrap in towel, sit in cooler or oven that was @ 225 and freshly cut off
Lemme know and I'll add some Qview soon.

I just dont' wanna totally destroy my brisket attempt :D

thx in advance.

Yup I would still do 1.5 hrs per lb. A flat I would foil with Apple Juice at 165 then remove at 190 and rest.

Sounds like a good plan.

I would add, if you don't inject it, don't put a probe in it until it's in the smoker heat for about 3 hours or more, especially since you are planning on setting it out for awhile before you put it in the smoker.

That way you don't have to worry about getting through the Danger Zone.

If you inject or probe first, you will have to get it from 40˚ to 140˚ in no longer than 4 hours to be safe. That would include sitting on the counter time.

Don't Forget the Qview,

Bear

Thx for the advice, all.  Plans have changed a little bit, so we'll see.

Sounds like a good plan.

I would add, if you don't inject it, don't put a probe in it until it's in the smoker heat for about 3 hours or more, especially since you are planning on setting it out for awhile before you put it in the smoker.

That way you don't have to worry about getting through the Danger Zone.

If you inject or probe first, you will have to get it from 40˚ to 140˚ in no longer than 4 hours to be safe. That would include sitting on the counter time.

Don't Forget the Qview,

Bear
I wasn't aware of the "Danger Zone" (still need to read the safety section).  The setting it out plan is probably not happening now.  The "itch" is going to get scratched today.  I'm on my way in a few minutes to pick it up.  It'll stay sealed until I'm ready to rub and then I'm going to rub & place.  I just hope WallyWorld has lump charcoal instead of brickettes.

Also, most likely due to time....I'm going to finish it off in the oven (maybe....depends on weather, mood, etc).  The first 4-5hrs will be in the smoker provided i can reg temp.

Just got home from the "Cajun Meat Company" here in Marietta, GA (saw it mentioned on another thread).  Picked up a 6lb flat and some gator tail.  I'm off to get some lump and red potatoes & corn for our gator tail dinner.  In the interim before I actually get the Q movin....here's the flat...

07c64c4e_1a10b8a5.jpg

More to follow in a little bit.

My 1st time w/ lump....dang sure doesn't take much for temp LOL.

Right now it's maintaining @ 235....a little hotter than i want it, but it'll do I hope.

Rubbed right before going in....

ed899087_411e3558.jpg

EDIT:  Now at the 2hr mark, got hit with a storm.....grill/smoker is getting hammered with water....maintaining temp is being a pain :(     .....if i can't regular it, i'm gonna have to go to oven prematurely.  So far, it dipped down to 170 very briefly....back up @ 225/230 for now...hopefully will stay there.  I opened vent a little for some air flow.  My hickory is still smokin' away though...so that's a good thing :D

Last edited:
Due to bad weather and the urge to not get sick while standing out in chilly rain (not to mention the lightening around me)....I went ahead and moved it to the oven @ 220* (until it gets to 160, then I'll wrap w/ foil and let sit @ 210 until IT gets to 195.

Here it is @ ~the 5hr mark...

e8021490_8fb38301.jpg

I had to xfer to oven....its on a baking sheet with foil on it....these temps ok for this to finish it out?

Last edited:
You can pull it at 190* and wrap it up and put in a cooler for an hour or so, the temps will still climb. Personally I take everything straight from the fridge right to the smoker once my smoke settles, that way I can get a little more smoke on them. 

I couldn't find my cooler :(

I've read it other places on here.....for the "cooldown" ....i just cut the oven off and am letting it rest in there.  Hope it works.  Now gotta figure out what to do with it after it cools since it's 2a here.  Won't be eaten until tomorrow sometime.

Pics soon.

Done & yum.....i was able to pick it apart with my fingers...much nom happenin...

c72cc389_4d673c29.jpg

a9f7aec1_15ef0f74.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't find my cooler :(

I've read it other places on here.....for the "cooldown" ....i just cut the oven off and am letting it rest in there.   Hope it works.  Now gotta figure out what to do with it after it cools since it's 2a here.  Won't be eaten until tomorrow sometime.

Pics soon.
That was probably me---I do that in my smoker, instead of a cooler---If I want to hold it a long time (in foil), I'll leave it on, but cut the heat to about 20˚ below the meat temp. I also close my vents. For a short time (hour or less), I just turn it off and leave it in.

Your Brisket looks excellent !!!  
icon14.gif

Bear

Thx guys....I'm really happy how it came out.  Definitely better than my first attempt. 

I've just gotta convince the wife to let me get a real smoker....but as long as I keep rockin on this thing, gonna be hard to do LOL.  The weather making me drop temp irritated me to no end. 

Man, way to overcome adversity. That happened to me with my first pork butt, and ended up having to finish in the oven.  I was able to get about 6 hours in the smoker first.  Looks great, keep it up!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky