Small Brisket Flat & Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

js0813

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2018
Alabama
Didn’t think to take prep pictures this morning. Took one of the lil baby brisket flat when I trimmed the fat cap down some Yesterday before seasoning with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

0D36CAB2-3CCE-41DD-B7AF-3A54096D0884.jpeg

Lil butt was “brined” in an apple juice/salt/pepper/rosemary mix overnight. Rubbed with S&P and brown sugar equal parts mix early this morning. Both the brisket and butt have been on for about 2hrs now. Using my typical half and half of black oak and pecan.

1CD9697E-8A28-4983-A08D-C63EA97A684A.jpeg

Additional SITREPs to follow...

Going to be fine vittles in a few hours. I’m splitting wood for a few hours. Don’t let Chile take my plate. He is a good eater. Be back later to check on the progress. And for my anniversary dinner plate. Thanks in advance

Reactions: js0813
Thanks all. Fires been holding good beetween 225 and 255. Just got the brisket wrapped. Tell y’all what, don’t know if I’ve ever had a cut go from 156 down to 149 after wrapping.

207868AE-B86A-4184-A447-07F4D58292D2.jpeg

It happens don't fret it. My chair is pulled up in front of the screen for any updates.

Chris

Man I hate seeing a drop like that. Probably been doin it for years just I never used a thermometer during the cook till this past year.

How long did it take you to wrap it?

Chris

Only about a minute. Didn’t open the smoker till I had the paper cut and ready. It just hit 156, so maybe I’m getting past the stall?

I didn’t expect it with the paper. I usually cook straight thru with no crutch.

3A7CCEF2-5DD3-444D-BCC6-CF202E2D10D3.jpeg
Lil butt hit about 205 and the bone was loose so I wrapped amid moved it to the cooler. That brisket is sloooow. Taking about as long as the last full packer I did.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Well, pulled the pork...
B0D85472-CDED-4DDE-99A8-E8FFA1D63D6C.jpeg

Pulled the brisket from the cooler...
724A77CF-7DBB-4B56-AD3E-5C38DF265CB2.jpeg

And sliced away.
7ECEAAA5-4DD3-410F-BB55-126B345708BB.jpeg

Kiddos and wife loved it all. Now that the kids are asleep and the kitchens cleaned I can get these posted. Brisket wasn’t the most tender but was still good. Just not “competition” pull apart.

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky