Slim Jims and Summer Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by txbigred, Jul 19, 2008.

1. txbigred

txbigred Meat Mopper

Hello all,
    My first post here, I found this site when searching about sausage fatties, in fact ,I just made my first one today and have it smoking right now. I used my own home made pork breakfast sausage, rolled it out in a ziplock bag (good tip by the way!) then layered in pepperoni, mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, and some Cabernet marinara sauce. I rolled it spiral style. I hope it tastes as good as it looks!!

I have been making sausage for quite a while now, here are some pics of some Jalapeno & cheese slim jims and summer sausage I made about a month ago.

Dave
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rc1800

rc1800 Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

Where is Humble Tx ? I am from El Paso.

3. white cloud

white cloud Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very nice lookin sausage, welcome

4. kookie

kookie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great looking sausage...........Nice looking setup.............What kinda smoker you have? Reminds me of the commercial one we had when I worked in the grocery store when I was in school..............

5. cbucher

cbucher Meat Mopper

good looking sausages and slim jims

6. meat-man

meat-man Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Hey brother they look great and by the way welcome aboard [​IMG]

7. tbucher1218

tbucher1218 Smoke Blower

Sausage and slim jims look great. Welcome

8. txbigred

txbigred Meat Mopper

Thanks for the welcome guys. The smoker that I use for making sausage is one I made from a Traulsen hot box, it's what institutions use to keep food hot. It's stainless inside and out, and has 4 heat strips to provide the heat. I added a 220v burner for the smoke,(I use hickory sawdust) an exhaust fan and a thermostat. I got a heck of a deal on it....$150 delivered to my house. I bought it from a guy who sells restaurant equipment, he had it sitting outside, so it needed some clean up, but it works great!! I have it in my garage so I can smoke whether it's raining or not. The fan is variable speed, when set on it's lowest speed it keeps just enough negative pressure to keep my garage from filling with smoke.
    Here are a couple pictures

Dave

9. bb53chevpro

bb53chevpro Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow, i am impressed. That sausage looks great. Love the smoker too. I'll give you $175 for it and i'll pick it up.

10. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

TxBigRed
    Welcome to SMF, additional sausage making knowledge is always welcomed !!! Nice looking custom smoker and I like how you use your garage as a windbreak..... someday I hope to be set up that way.

11. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking slim jims and sausage TxBigRed. Love that smoker too[​IMG]

12. Nice looking sausage , this fall I was thinking of trying some sausage making those slim jims and summer sausage look great . I would like to make some from my moose and deer meat . Would you be willing to share your recipe?
    Welcome

13. goat

goat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

All looks very nice. It is good to have another sausage stuffer here.

14. txbigred

txbigred Meat Mopper

15. vlap

vlap Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Excellent way to introduce yourself! Glad to have ya here!!!

16. buckeye024

buckeye024 Smoke Blower

Are there any threads here about making sausage? From the pics and above description, I'd like to give it a try....

17. txbigred

txbigred Meat Mopper

I'm sure there are, I'm new here too. Try doing a search. If you have any questions about making sausage, I would be happy to help any way I can.

Dave

18. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

19. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

dang man... you got sweet equiptment and nice sausage... really a great set up.. defffinatly points[​IMG]

20. buck wheezer

buck wheezer Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Agreed on both points: great looking sausage and introduce yourself in the Roll Call.

Since you mentioned it in another post, I spend my Thursdays in a Northville coffee shop writing my sermon for the week. Welcome!