Slicing whole picanha - with or against grain?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dabiker68

Original poster
May 1, 2021
I'm smoking a whole picanha tomorrow, Malcolm Reed style, but I hear varying opinions re slicing the whole roast with versus against the grain... But I think that I may have figured it out, so hoping for opinions..

If you are slicing it thin (pencil width, brisket style) - go against the grain for easy pulling apart or chewing right off the slice.

If going for a thicker, more steak-like slice where you are requiring knife and fork to eat it, go with the grain as there is going to be that additional cut required before you taste.

Thoughts?

I go to this Brazilian steak house and the cut the roast in pieces then roast it on the skewer and bring it to the table and slice it thin kinda with the grain. I have a photo what it looks like hope that helps. The way the slice it it’s always like butter.

Attachments

• D259E531-50A4-432F-B05D-09846B1E8DEA.jpeg
    D259E531-50A4-432F-B05D-09846B1E8DEA.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 175
I go to this Brazilian steak house and the cut the roast in pieces then roast it on the skewer and bring it to the table and slice it thin kinda with the grain. I have a photo what it looks like hope that helps. The way the slice it it’s always like butter.
That will be my following session with a picanha, using the rotisserie

Possibly, a bit more clarity? If the picanha is going to be sliced into thick strips, grilled on skewers and served as the above photo then the steaks should be cut with the grain. However, if you are going to grill individual thick strips to be served whole on a person's plate, you should cut the picanha strips across the grain. Same if you grill the whole picanha first, then serve portioned pieces by cutting across the grain.

Reactions: dabiker68
This cut is so tender that it may not make a big difference how you cut it as long as it is cooked to medium rare. But this would be my approach.
First score the fat cap into diamonds. If no fat cap then don't score.
Liberally apply coarse salt. Then ...

Against the grain: If it is a small roast/steak (like 1 lb or so), grill/smoke low indirect heat, reverse sear to medium rare, slice against grain into 1/4" to 1/2" slices.

With the grain: If it is a larger roast, first grill/smoke (with fat cap up) on low indirect heat to maybe 105F, remove from grill and let rest a couple minutes, slice with the grain into steaks (about 1" thick), sprinkle with more salt, then sear the steaks on each cut side to medium rare.

Reactions: dabiker68
^^^^^^^This is the way I would go.^^^^^
The Brazilian slices off the skewer are showy and cool looking, but First and Last Slice gets all the tasty Seasoning. The rest of the slices, not so much...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky