Slab wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Do any of you use slab wood from saw mills for smoking? I have an Amish sawmill near me that has slab wood for $35 a pickup load. They keep the pine separate so this would be primarily oak with a little cherry mixed in. My understanding is it’s not treated at all. Gold mine for the Lang if it works well.

I don't see why it wouldn't work great, a little bark on them would be great also

My Mom had a hickory tree go down in a storm a couple years ago . I cut and split most for fire wood , but took some cross cuts of the trunk and chopped it for the kettle . I got rid of the bark , but kept the "shag " that was on top of that .
Put eyes on it to see why they aren't using it . Rot free and no bugs , I'd use it .

As long as it hasn't been treated or had anything sprayed on it i'd jump all over that price Jeff! As you know I get the wood for my SQ36 delivered to me from Cabelas, no hardwood trees growing in the desert. It costs me $30 in hickory to smoke a $12 butt, the main reason I've been going to the Weber using the SnS for butts and ribs. RAY

Reactions: jcam222
Most furniture wood is kiln dried. I don't know is that will make a difference but I like to have a little natural moisture in my smoking woods.

$35 not much to lose I am sure trial an error has taken more then that.
Richie

I did a slab of spares on the 26 today . Held 6 hours at 260 . Ribs passed the bend and probe test . Kettle had another hour or 2 left in it .
4 chunks of apple and a couple handfuls of peach chips .

Thanks Rich! I get a easy seven hours using the SnS on my 22", looks like a 26'er might becoming soon according to Jan. You really can't beat the smoke flavor from the offset, and I plan on keeping that also, but using the SnS with some chunks of hickory seems to work well for my needs, without the added expense. Did these yesterday on the 22", I don't wrap or spritz, I like smoke flavor. Nothing worth posting, been seen before, they were good! RAY

DSCN2985.JPG

I’ve actually found an even better source for it now that is all debarked as well. Prefers to sell in bulk 30 yards which is roughly 4 cords of mostly cherry with some oak mixed in for $400. Think I’ll go for it. Between that and the other two cords of split wood I have coming I should be set for quite awhile. Hell I may become the local source for lower volume buyers.

4 cord Cherry for $400? I'd likely be set for the rest of my life. SIL works at the local Mill, Emporium Hardwoods. He gets kiln dried scrap free. I dont know what it is, maple, oak,hickory, but a couple 6"×6" chunks in the Kettle give a good flavor, it's just more mild than wood with more moisture...JJ

Reactions: jcam222 and mike243
Jeff if it hasn't been sprayed with anything it should work just fine and a
save you a lot of splitting time and effort. Sounds like a good deal but I don't buy wood so really don't know

Reactions: jcam222
Sounds like a great deal to me. I’ve been using branches off the oak tree in my backyard. Problem is I don’t have a lot of storage space to dry it. So I end up buying wood at Publix. They sell a bag of splits that is mixed oak, hickory, & pecan for $5.
Al

Would be fine I used slam wood for years in open fire cooking before having a charcoal cooker.

Warren

Yeah, and then the Wooly Mammoth died off, the Iron Age came to pass and soon Coal Stoves and Electricity was all the rage....JJ :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky