Skinless Muscovy duck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pabs

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
tx
How to smoke one that is skinless. I started raising them and butcherd one and skinned it because I didn’t to go through scalding process.

Smoke at 225 to a doneness you like, 120 rare, 130 med/rare, 140 medium, 150 med/well, 160 for well done. A Dry Brine will add flavor, hold moisture and tenderize the meat. Mince a large garlic clove an fresh Thyme Leaves from a few sprigs. Next mash this with a Tablespoon of Kosher Salt until it looks like wet sand. Rub the meat well and refrigerate overnight. Turn and massage the meat the next morning. An hour before cooking, Rinse, pat dry, and and place in front of a fan to form a Pellicle, a tacky surface coating of protein, that will absorb smoke...JJ

Reactions: forktender
That is a great idea! I have 2 whole Perkins that are large and very fatty. Even slow rendered, until the skin was crisp, left more fat under the breast skin than the kids would eat. These fatty breasts would make perfect Prosciutto...JJ

thanks to all..decided to not smoke this time. was afraid it wouldnt turn out good without skin so sliced breast after briming and chicken fried it since husband was not too keen on eating duck but he liked it. will butcher another later and try to leave skin on.

I have eaten Pekin and a few others but not Moscovy. Most I have read describe the meat as dark red closer to beef than poultry. How would you describe it and any cooking suggestions? Thanks...JJ

I have eaten Pekin and a few others but not Moscovy. Most I have read describe the meat as dark red closer to beef than poultry. How would you describe it and any cooking suggestions? Thanks...JJ

Yes. It is dark and was similar to eating steak. Since this is first one I can only say slice breast and cook like chicken fried steak. Will try smoking and slow cooker method another time. I also brined it. I used the broth and made dumplings. Very good.

Sounds good to me...JJ

Skinless ducks, boneless chickens.
Makes me wonder how these poor things stay warm, or manage to get to the feed.

20181014_145253[1].jpg :confused::eek:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky