Sirloin Tri-Tip to Roast today

Discussion in 'Beef' started by flash, Sep 13, 2009.

1. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

As some of you know, never done one of these. Found a nice one at Wal-Mart for $2.98 @ LB. This one is 6.85 Lbs. I know it's temp (shooting for 135º internal) not time I am looking for, but I would like a ball park idea on how long do members think it might take to get it done? So far I have heard 3, 4 and 6 hours (smoking at 225º).
    Gonna have chicken wings on also and they will be the meal for tonight. The roast will go in the Fridge and get carved tomorrow.

2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

When I do a 3lb tri tip it takes about 2-2.5 hours to get to 135 ish so I would said that if I was cooking a 6.85 one I would give about 5-6 hours.

Cant wait to see the qview of it.

3. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

I take mine from fridge season it then into the smoker and find that it takes right at an hour per lb. Its a thick cut and takes awhile.

4. mikey

mikey Smoking Fanatic

6.85lbs? I've never seen a tri tip that large before. The standard size out here in the West seems to be 2.5-3.25 lbs. I take mine to 145 internal which runs approx. 1 1/4 hrs per lb @ 250 degree smoker temp. I'd like to see a pic of that monster. Quality eating for sure[​IMG]

5. flash

Yeah and we don't get Flat Iron steaks here either [​IMG]
    I tried to read the package again, but the blood took out the text. I know it had Sirloin and Tip on it. Is there a difference between a Sirloin Tri-Tip and a Sirloin Tip Roast?
    Got photo, will post later. I will not be slicing it till tomorrow though.

Edit: Starting to think it may be a Sirloin Tip Roast, but will have to wait until I go to Wal-Mart again. Sorry, I just haven't gotten it back together fully since losing the my little guy in my sig.

6. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

I believe you'll find its a sirloin tip roast in our area

7. mikey

mikey Smoking Fanatic

I hear ya on the loss of the "little guy". Here's a chart on beef cuts, but I'm not so sure how well it shows up. Not very well as I can see on the preview. Maybe Pops can answer the question. I'm not familiar with flat iron steak either. They might call it something else. On the chart it's called a sirloin tri tip roast.

8. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Beef tri-tip, med-rare (130-140) @225-250 should run you 2-3 hours.

9. flash

Good news is I took a shot of it before taking it out of package.

Sirloin Tip. I believe that comes from the Round area. So no Tri-Tip. Hopefully it will still be good.

Spiced up.

Done at a time of 3 hours and 15 minutes. Around 220º smoker temp.
    138º internal. Now wrapped in foil and in Cooler.

You guys figure I am OK on this? We like it medium rare.

Any special way to carve this?

10. pineywoods

That is certainly a different cut from what I was expecting.

11. flash

I have a chart made by same place.
    As to the Flat Iron, it may also be a Chuck Top Blade.

12. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Really looking good, nice piece of meat...

13. alx

alx Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like more 128....LOL I make sandwiches all day long with that cut,,,,,

14. mikey

mikey Smoking Fanatic

Here's one from an earlier smoke. The somewhat triangle shape is the tell tale sign. Flash, yours should be awesome & and make some delicious sammies.

15. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Mikey, yours looks delicious so juicy and a nice smoke ring...[​IMG]

16. smokingohiobutcher

smokingohiobutcher Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yep thats not a tri tip. The sirloin tip will make awesome sammies!
    The temp is right where you want it for med rare,or for heating for openfaced hot roast beef sammies.
    MMMMMMMashed potatos N gravy!!!![​IMG] We can't seem to get people to try Tri-tip up here in the eastern section of the US.Too bad its an awesome cut. The flat iron is a delicous cut of meat that can be used sooo many ways. Try it if you ever get the chance.
    Later SOB[​IMG]

17. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You're right about the shape, but it does privide some great tasting meat when done low & slow, or grilled using red oak.

18. flash

Carved this morning. Dang it would be nice to have a meat slicer. [​IMG]

19. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

looks good!!!

20. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thats alittle smaller then the monsters I did awhile back they came in at 11 and 12 lbs. The biggest one smoked at 230 and it took about 5 hours and it was 140 or so when I pulled it and It was medium on the end and med rare to rare for the rest. Perfect for this household.