Single Serving Fatties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 3, 2008
Far Northern California
Been thinking lately how nice it would be if on a Saturday or Sunday morning I could go to the freezer, pull out a slice or two of a prevously smoked and stuffed fattie, warm it up in the microwave (or skillet if it was thawed out) to have with breakfast.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

With that in mind, I smoked a couple of fatties today.

Here are the ingredients.

One was regular Jimmy Dean sausage stuffed with shredded sharp cheddar and mushrooms, the other was HOT Jimmy Dean stuffed with the Mexican cheese blend and jalapenos.

Here is the cheddar and mushroom . . .

and the Mexican blend and jalapeno . . .

all rolled and wrapped in the freezer to firm up while the drum warms up.

Put them on the drum over some Kingsford Competition Briquettes and a few chunks of hickory.

The drum settled in at about 225° on the side guage which is about 275° to 300° at the center of the grate.

About 90 minutes later, I checked them with the Thermapen and they were done -- between 165° and 170° at all the spots I checked.

Into the house and onto the cutting board for a rest before slicing.

And that's where the plan sort of broke down.

As you can see by the sliced pics, the volume of "stuffage" shrunk considerably in the case of the mushrooms, and the cheese was oozing out.

Oh well, I ate the ones that I couldn't salvage for good freezer slices.
biggrin.gif
I know, I know, it's a shame but it had to be done.

Then I popped the rest in the fridge for a firm up.

put them in a single layer in a Zip loc bag

and into the freezer.

Once they freeze separately, I should be able to rearrange the bag but still be able to pull out one or two at a time.

Didn't quite turn out like I had planned it. I imagine a stuffing that doesn't lose as much moisture and shrinks as much as mushrooms would work better. Also I probably should have let them cool more so the cheese had a chance to firm up. Got quite a few hollow slices. But hey, who knows, maybe "Saugage Ohs" will be the next breakfast sensation.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Looks good Dave only thing is with my son in law around that whole bag is a single serving breakfast for him
biggrin.gif

Nice. I let them sit over night in the fridge before slicing, this way the cheese and juices are set. Then package and freeze. When you need it take out of the freezer the night before and thaw in the fridge, the next morning just warm in the same skillet with the eggs and potatoes.

thats a great idea. We do just about the same thing with alot of our smokes. I vaccum pack them in small single serving and freeze so their easy to thaw in boiling water and then steam or even mirco them.

LOL, yeah, I could do that too. And probably would too if I didn't have to keep an eye on my cholesterol.
icon_redface.gif

Sounds great. So it should work. My only concern is I may want to use different fillings next time around.

Dave

I've frozen whole fatties with no problem.
Slices ?
Ah hell I'd just eat them for snacks, partially frozen lol

As far as fillings go - try some low fat cheese - doesn't cook out. Also haloumi is a good one as it just plain doesn't melt but is good cheese flavour and grates well.
But hey there are no limits to fatty fillings so just stuff them with some thing that won't cook out :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky