Significant GOSM Modifications witn QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nwdave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
One thing that has cropped up about this site is all the great suggestions that keep popping up for "little" improvements to your smoker. Well, since I'm not the sort of person to let something go untested, I started making some of the mods to my rather old big block GOSM.

The first is the Smoke Daddy which use to be on the right side but had to be moved for a reason you'll see in another picture.

I think it was Pignit who inspired my journey with the support rack for his MES. My rack grew and grew. The left side view shows the tank, needle valve, and Smoke Daddy.

The next view is the interior piping of the smoke daddy to get a better spread of smoke in the chamber.

Then I think it was Hailfixer who suggested the SFB, note the one installed on the right side, where the smoke daddy use to reside. Trials runs with just the SFB gave me temps of about 65* (or whatever ambient is going to be) with more than adequate amounts of smoke for low temp smoking (thinking of cheese, sausages, etc).

Then I heard about the Rib-o-later. See upper section of GOSM. Got that installed, sorta. Needs a little more balancing and squaring away, but works great.

And to cap it off, just had to have a window in the door. Sure cuts down on the snooping and checking.

Now, that's what I call a GOSM. Now, I've got to apply some paint here and there, and we'll be ready for the summer smoking season.

Reactions: chadtower
Very nice mods you've done on that GOSM. Congrats my friend.

Ok you have to let me get this straight you have done a couple of mods to your GOSM. First off I think you have made it into a chargriller with the side box. Then you made it into a WSM with the window and then you made it into something else with a smoke generator sticking out the side of this thing. OK it all looks like you have done a great job on everything but you have just created the first "CHarGosmWsM" now that's gonna require a new category of smokers I think. Heck don't forget the fancy wheelie thingy thing. Shucks I almost forgot the most important mod of all the "Rib a GO aroundie thing"

points.gif
points.gif
points.gif

You have to get some points for all of theses mods

Good job your smoker looks great. The window looks real good. If I had to do it all over again I would put the window a little higher like yours and make it longer.

I installed the SFB in March of 2005, but I had the info over on the Smokeymountain forums until recently when I posted here about the window and gas valve mods.

Great job your rig is awesome!

Michael (aka Hailfixer)

Thanks. Truth be told, some of us prefer to call this BOMBing, rather than mod's. I belong to a Diesel Truck Forum called NWBombers (NorthWest Bombers) with BOMB being an acryonm for Better Off Modified Baby!!

Now it's off to work on the skill level for the Minion Method, with lump to see if I can get the temps up to 220 or so for a backup method in case I run out of propane during a smoke. It's a backup I might want when we go camping. May have to use bricks in the mix, but we'll see.

Happy Bombing SMF'ers.
icon_mrgreen.gif

That's my guardian dragon. I, uh, borrowed, yeah that's it, borrowed it from the wifes flower garden. Boy, she raised a stink
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif
about it until I gave her some smoked chicken
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
to, well, you can guess. Add's a nice touch though.

Tested? Oh yeah, ten different ways from Sunday, so to speak. Matter of fact, just finished a couple of yard birds on the half, something I learned in Germany, way back when. One for dinner, one for a future dinner. This weekend, I'll be doing some cheese thanks to all the information I've been able to dig out of the SMF files.

The reason for two sources for low temp smoke is because I have a rather good supply of chunks and such that won't fit into the smoke daddy and why make sawdust when I can be reading SMF
icon_mrgreen.gif
. Flexibility is the word of the day.

Now where was that article on the utility cart?

No, I'm a "Propane" rig
icon_mrgreen.gif
NWBHoss (another member on here) is the NOS guy.

Yes, I went to a local glass company and told him what I wanted it for and he gave me tempered glass that works for our "windows".

I think I saw one of your questions on another thread. Got that one answered. Ask away. We were all newbies originally. I learned by asking questions. Nobody here was reluctant to answer. Be careful what you wish for though. It's a slippery slope.

Thanks for looking and the points.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky