Sigh, i hate diets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyhigh123

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
So i'm not really on a diet, but i started working out more and started doing P90X...

Since i'm working out, i'm cutting out the meats for the time being, but i can't STOP thinking about bbq! Brisket, Ribs, links.... drooool.....

sigh... its like crack to me!!!!!

Especially late at night, i'm watching food network or travel channel and all the show are shows about BBQ... Was watching food wars and it was on the 2 texas restaurants and their war on brisket and links...

PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

btw, we need to make a smiley with the guy roasting a pig or something.. haha

I am on a diet myself... & working out... trying to get in shape for the summer... Nothing wrong with meat if your working out... u should actually try to increase your meat a bit if your working out (less carbs and more protien) Im not doctor or a trainer LOL, but i can tell you i went from 430 pounds down to 205 (got back up to 240 over the past 3 years - hence the new diet) but i think your okay with still having some meat...

I hear ya though... it is BEAT! but i live my whole life as a diet...

I am eating what I want and exercising and losing weight. Just know how many calories are in what you want to eat and postion control as necessary.

Plus, meat is a great source of protien...you need that energy to exercise.

I am just going to throw this out there...you can take it with a grain of salt. I eat good healthy breakfast and lunch and it allows we to have a great dinner. Tonight is burgers on the grill, tomorrow is a roast and Friday night is pulled pork tacos....and I'm losing weight. No complaints here.

i actually do eat meat, but just lean meats, chicken breast, etc... brisket, ribs, and links dont fall into that category... :(

I got ya... Yeah do your thing than man... one trick i learned is pick a day (maybe 2) every 2 weeks to cheat a little... most diets fail because people keep cheating a little here and there until they crash and burn.. if you have that day or 2 to look forward to it really helps... i dont mean go overboard... but maybe smoke some ribs, brisket, or whatever and just eat sensible portions... Good Luck man!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Again just my thoughts!

I hear ya man. I have been on a strict diet for a couple of weeks now and it's killing me! I have a small piece of chicken or fish with a small amount of veggies and a fruit twice a day and that's it. The good thing is I have lost 15 pounds so it makes it worth it. And you're right about the damn food shows! I was also watching the food wars last night about the Texas BBQ and just about couldn't take it anymore and to make it worse I watched the one before that where they had the jumbo slices of pizza in DC. I was dying for some damn food!!! but I held in there and ate my fish and veggies.

I'm on the excercise bandwagon myself. I am doing cardio 5 nights a week. I have managed to lose 20 lbs since Jan1, and still eat pretty much what I want. It's a lot of sweat though.

I don't worry about diets. I eat what I want, when I want, but I stay active.

So far I've been at 190 lbs for the past 20 yrs.

Basically, what you need to do is match your caloric intake with the amount of calories you burn.

haha!!! i watched both episodes too!!! My GF and I wanted pizza today... she said, man i want some pizza and gave me that evil eye...

I don't know anything about P90X, but if you're working out to lose weight/build muscle, then, you NEED meat and any other sources of protein you can consume. Balanced fat/protein/carbohydrates is the main key to a healthy weight, as well as vitamin/mineral nutrients from fruits and vegetables.

Here's how the balance of energy works: sugars/carbs digest quickly and only provide energy for approx. 2 hours; proteins digest somewhat slower, taking about 2 hours, and provide energy for approx. 2 hours; fats take the longest to digest, requiring about 4 hours, and provide energy for approx. 2 hours. So, after you eat, the sugars/carbs kick in fairly quickly and last for 2 hours...about the time they have been exhausted, the proteins begin providing energy and as they are exhausted, the fats take over.

In order to maintain a healthy blood sugar level, you need all three types of energy, in a proper balance. If you omit either of the 3, you would need to eat at least every 4 hours instead of 6, in order to compensate. But, try to imagine if you will, leaving out the fat, and trying to go 6 hours between meals...people do it at the risk of low blood sugars. Same goes if you omit carbs...you ate, but your fuel gauge is on empty until 2 hours after you eat...that's when the proteins begin to fill your tank back up. If the majority of what you eat is fats, then you'll be on empty for at least 4 hours.

I know these things from needing to be educated on the subject so I could help a family member get on track with type 2 diabetes.

You need to be active to keep your metabolism elevated, or you must reduce calorie intake to match your metabolism. In the case of heavy muscle/bone-joint exercise, it is vital to have adequate protein intake, as it is needed for healthy muscle growth/strength. Also, for the bones/joints, calcium/vitamin D...vitamin D is needed for your body to absorb calcium.

Hope this makes sense...

BTW, I have jumped from 190 to 200lbs in the past 6 months, mostly due to the fact that I reduced my veg/fruit intake and am eating much more meats in place of them...
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif
Bbq meats that is. I'm 6'-5", and have been in the 180-190lb range for the past 20 years. I guess I'm still a lean n mean Bbq cookin' n eatin' machine!

Good luck, brother!

Eric

I started a diet as well. Low carb! I started when I bought my Traeger and I have been eating pulled pork, bacon, brisket etc. Lost 34 lbs. so far and feel great! The only thing I have been avoiding that I really miss is cornbread and BBQ sauce. Outside of that I'm happy.

Do what works for you and hang in there. There is always light at the end of the tunnel. And it's not always a train!
icon_mrgreen.gif

thanks for the info!

i'm increasing the amount i eat now. Before i didnt eat enough, especially protein...

i'm at about 193, 6'3". I used to be 240 and dropped the weight after breaking up with my ex...

i still could lose maybe 10 more pounds to lean up some more... now i'm putting a little more focus on muscle mass...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky