Side smoker attachment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tony Davis

Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
I was watching YouTube videos this morning and ran across one where the gentleman smoking was using an attachment mounted to the side of his Masterbuilt smoker that he called a side smoker. This attachment is ment to provide continuous smoke eliminating the problem of keeping the wood chips smoking when the smoker reaches temperature and the element cuts off. Does anyone know if such an option is available for the Smoke Hollow brand smoker and where it can be found if so?

Reactions: SonnyE
Search "mailbox mod" here in the forums.

I don't know much about Smoke Hollow smokers but this mod may very well work for it.

I was watching YouTube videos this morning and ran across one where the gentleman smoking was using an attachment mounted to the side of his Masterbuilt smoker that he called a side smoker. This attachment is ment to provide continuous smoke eliminating the problem of keeping the wood chips smoking when the smoker reaches temperature and the element cuts off. Does anyone know if such an option is available for the Smoke Hollow brand smoker and where it can be found if so?
Tony:
I have a Masterbuilt electric with a side smoker attachment. The side smoker was about $50. It is designed to send smoke into the body of the smokehouse through the same hole as is used to add wood chips. It works great and eliminates the need to use the main smoker's heat element to generate smoke. Also, using just the side smoker allows "cold smoking" for items like cheese.
I modified the mounting system and attached the side smoker permanently to the smoker. The side smoker has it's own electric heat element and a four-sided tube that feeds the wood chips down onto the element. It's easy to clean and makes a nice amount of smoke. It vents through the original vent on the main smoker, so distributes smoke evenly.
If you can adapt the Masterbuilt side smoker to your unit you won't be disappointed.
G.

Hi Tony!
Welcome to SMF.com!

I went to Smoke Hollow Smokers web site, but need your model number to offer any advice on possible mods for your smoker.
But I have no doubts that some good working modifications could really get you in full control and happy.

Here is what many on this forum do to a MES 30 smoker... Attach a 3" dryer flex hose to a mailbox... Add the AMNPS pellet smoke generator and go for it...

Mailbox mod hooked up.jpg ... LEGS 4.jpg ... mailbox int..jpg

Tony:
I have a Masterbuilt electric with a side smoker attachment. The side smoker was about $50. It is designed to send smoke into the body of the smokehouse through the same hole as is used to add wood chips. It works great and eliminates the need to use the main smoker's heat element to generate smoke. Also, using just the side smoker allows "cold smoking" for items like cheese.
I modified the mounting system and attached the side smoker permanently to the smoker. The side smoker has it's own electric heat element and a four-sided tube that feeds the wood chips down onto the element. It's easy to clean and makes a nice amount of smoke. It vents through the original vent on the main smoker, so distributes smoke evenly.
If you can adapt the Masterbuilt side smoker to your unit you won't be disappointed.
G.
I also have a Masterbilt side smoker that I use. I added some pipe to it so the smoke is nice and clean before going into the smoker. I also added a router variable speed controller to it so I can turn down the heat as much as I like. I usually load it up and put it on high until it really gets going then I turn it down half way. The thing will smoke for hours. Here is a photo of the controller. I bought it from Northern tool.
P2260007.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky