Side or bottom firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pepseamani

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
PEI, Canada
Hi Folks,

As you can guess I am going to attempt to build my first smoker. I am going to use stainless steel. Since I am doing this from scratch, no barrels, propane tanks, etc. I am unsure which path to take. Fire box on the side, or underneath.
I have been reading quite a bit on this, but am still confused. Go figure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Pep I also am building a reverse flow and if I am not mistaken for it to be a reverse flow it has to have a side firebox ( offset ).

Thanks Bryon.

Well there's one question answered. Perhaps, I posted in the wrong thread. Another possibility is to have a burn box below, for direct bbq, and the side box for reverse smoke. I have lots to ponder...

If you build your cooking drum or barrel with enough diameter you can put a access door at the opposite end of the firebox, and it have a remove able ash tray the whole length of the cooker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky