Shoulders are on

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

irishteabear

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 22, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Finally smoking again after a two week hiatus. Got two shoulders in the smoker since shortly after 7 am. Before trimming the fat cap off, the one on the bottom was 10 lbs and the one on top was almost 8 lbs. Rubbed with evoo and my rub, smoker temp 230-250, using apple today. I'll be adding more items to be smoked as the day goes on and will be firing up the Bradley today as well. Busy day ahead!

those look great - looking forward to seeing how they turn out!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Looking good, Dawn! We'll keep watch until this evening when we can see the finished product.

Here they are after about 4 1/2 hrs. I think the lump got a bit damp, was struggling to get temps up. Finally there and holding now.
icon_rolleyes.gif
They're both at 154 now.

Those are looking great Dawn, What will you be fixing in the Bradley?

I have all the parts to get my Bradley up and going, just haven't done it. I was planning on trying it out this weekend but I guess I am going to use the big Grand Cafe instead.

The Bradley is getting vidalia onions, garlic, eggs and a breakfast fatty. Just firing it up now, pics coming soon.

The smaller shoulder is at 160ish so it's time to foil. That was a fast little bugger. I use a thermapen and probed in 4 different places. They all were at 160 and above.

The larger one is sitting at 156. I'll give it 2 hrs, then I'll get rough with it.
biggrin.gif

Everything look fabulaous as usual dawn. Glad you could smoke today. Will check back in with you later.

The smaller shoulder is done. I opened the foil up and it fell apart. It's still way too hot to pull by hand.

I moved the monster one to the Bradley. Figured it was already running, might as well take advantage of it instead of heating up the kitchen.
icon_mrgreen.gif
It was at 190 when I last checked.

Lookin' mighty fine, Dawn! Wish I could of been here earlier!

I just did one Monday with a brisket & smoked beans for work...been too long since the last one before it...man, the PP is good eats. It was ALL good!

The larger one is sitting at 156. I'll give it 2 hrs, then I'll get rough with it.
biggrin.gif

Don't let the dreaded stall get to ya...that's the best part of the smoke, when all the junk melts away and leaves you with the good eats. 10lb starting weight is a pretty hefty shoulder, so it will drive ya nuts if ya let it.

Keep your chin up, girl!

I'll be waiting for the finish when you can get it out to us.
biggrin.gif

Eric

I opened the foil to check the temp of the monster shoulder and it fell apart. Stuck the thermanpen in it and it said 190, but I'd say it's done. The shoulders are really good but I think my rub still needs a bit of tweeking.
icon_neutral.gif

I opened the foil to check the temp of the monster shoulder and it fell apart. Stuck the thermanpen in it and it said 190, but I'd say it's done. The shoulders are really good but I think my rub still needs a bit of tweeking.

Looks pretty nice from where I'm sitting!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Are you looking for more bark, spicy heat, or something else?

Don't give up, especially when you're sooooo close to what you like...

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky