Should I freeze my packer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gotbags-10

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Indy
Just bought a 9 lb packer. I don't need it until may 25 and the sell by date on it is may 27. Just seems like an awful long time for it to sit in the fridge unthawed. But I've also heard that letting it sit longer can help age and tenderize it more. Any thoughts?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?atr5e1
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I frequently freeze them when they are on sale and it doesn't seem to have any effect on them.  Being a BBQ enthusiast I'd like to think the tenderness comes from my q-ing ;) 

I don't believe sitting in cryovac does much for tenderness or aging.  I would probably put them in the freezer since you are 14 days away.  I'm like you, the meat sitting the fridge for two weeks just seems too darn long

Just bought a 9 lb packer. I don't need it until may 25 and the sell by date on it is may 27. Just seems like an awful long time for it to sit in the fridge unthawed. But I've also heard that letting it sit longer can help age and tenderize it more. Any thoughts?
---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?atr5e1
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just remember when again beef go by the Case date not the store tag date... I freeze all the time don't see much of a difference good luck and happy smoking

Since the sell by date is past your use date it should be fine to let it sit in the fridge til then...that is what the retail would do till it sells or has to be pulled.  However freezing is ok to.  Just remember it will take several days to thaw in the fridge.

As to aging....the research that i have done on aging indicates that you are not going to get any benefit at this point. 

I would freeze it - too long for my personal comfort 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky