Short ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SKade

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 21, 2019
West Virginia
I’ve got a few sets of short ribs going on the Masterbuilt 560 for dinner tonight. Just some spg. Might spritz them down with something later on. It depends on how they look. There’s a rack of baby backs on the bottom because why not?
0C64A89B-F347-43BF-A2BF-1D1E4052FBA4.jpeg

Nice.
I personally like to remove most of the fat cap on these. It doesn't render very well and it prevents seasoning from getting into the meat.
I probably should have done that. It’s my first time trying them on the smoker. I’ve braised them a lot but I want see how they turn out on the grill. I’m hoping that the fat will do like on brisket but there might be to much of it.

Looking good. Make sure they probe really tender before pulling them. Can't tell if these are chuck or plate. Chuck ribs usually take about 8 hours at 225F for me.

Reactions: SKade
Sorry about leaving everyone hanging. I had received my second COVID shot that day and I got knocked down a little bit. They turned out great. There was one set I should have given just a little longer. I probed two of the sets and they were good. I assumed the smaller ones were good too. That’s what I get for assuming. The amount of fat on them was just where I like it. Removing it might have let the spices penetrate more but I wouldn’t trade the flavor and texture of it for anything. I love that crispy bit and the melted fatty goodness. I then to like a little more fat on my meat than some though. I also did up some grilled squash to go with it. A good cook and a good meal.

Looking good. Make sure they probe really tender before pulling them. Can't tell if these are chuck or plate. Chuck ribs usually take about 8 hours at 225F for me.
I don’t know how to tell the difference between the two types. To be honest they could be both. I have ribs from two different cows. One I got from a local farmers market. The other I went in on a half side of beef from a local farm. We got a lot of good meat but next time I’m going to make sure to talk to the person processing it so I can get the cuts I want.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky