Shoo Fly Cake (Bear’s new Favorite Cake)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I decided to try your shoofly cake, John. I was short a couple of ingredients, so I subbed butter for the shortening and only had 1 3/4 cups of brown sugar and added 1/4 cup of white sugar. I also reserved 1 1/2 cups of the dry mix for the topping since I was using a larger pan. It came out beautiful, and moist.

View attachment 519458

View attachment 519459

The taste was very good, but as a dessert, both Miss Linda and I felt it just wasn't sweet enough--couple of sweet tooth people here. :emoji_wink::emoji_wink:

Miss Linda started researching shoofly cake and discovered that it was originally served as a breakfast cake. Now that made sense to me--it would make a real hearty meal to start the work day.

Sooooooo, the next morning i had some for breakfast. I nuked the cake for 30 secs to warm it up, sliced it like Texas toast, and then tried it with 4 different toppings: butter, smoked honey butter, honey, and corn syrup. The butter was a "why bother", the honey over powered the cake flavor, the corn syrup was quite good, but the smoked honey butter was fantastic. The added sweetness of the honey, combined with the smokey goodness of the butter on the shoofly cake was a match made in heaven. So good, in fact, that I had a second piece. Roxy, on the other hand, loved hers with no topping.

I'll be having a goodly sized piece for breakfast as long as the cake lasts. You might think about trying it this way. It won't be the last time I bake this cake.

Thanks for posting your Miss Linda's recipe, John. It's a keeper.

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Sounds like you really gave it a Workover!!
There were variations in the "Shoo Fly Pies"---One was what they called "Wet Bottom Shoo Fly Pie", which had a thick mix of molasses on the bottom, about 3/8" thick.
Another was a yellowish inside cake color, with a Browned Top, with a Gooey chocolate bottom. We used to call all of these "Breakfast Cake", because that was generally when we consumed them. However as so many of you do, we never added anything to the top of it, when we were eating them.
Adults ate it with Coffee, and as a Kid, I used to eat mine with Hot Tea, and sometimes with Milk.
And Thanks for the Like, Gary.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky