Shelter for my smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bugger

Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I am new to the whole smoking thing so I went out an purchased a Brinkmann Smoke N Grill.  I know it's not the best but thats what I was allowed to get now (my fiance wears the pants in my house!!!)

I am trying to figure out the best and relatively cheapest way to build some kind of shelter for it, in the even of a rain storm.  I live in Florida so it rains daily.  I am scared about being in a mid smoke and having it pour down rain. 

I was suggested a pop up gazebo, which would be find for regular rain, but I wanted something that would withstand some wind and pretty harsh rain. 

I thought about builidng a wooden "box" that I could put over it in the rain, or maybe tarps or something like that. 

What do I have to worry about with either of these methods.  I am assuming that the heat from the smoke will not get hot enough to start a fire.  I would assume that as long as nothing is actually touching the smoker, I should be alright.  What is everyone's thoughts.

How does everyone else smoke during harsh weather?

Thanks

Reactions: utahdoug
First welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. I've seen everything from an umbrella to a fancy fixed structure over smokers. Something that could be permanent would be nice but you'd have to consider your local building codes. A pop up canopy or something along those lines would work most of the time as long as its anchored down for our windy thunderstorms. Heck even a beach umbrella would work.

Some of us have a tractor shed to cook under. Me i just wheel the mes out the shed and up under the carport or front porch and smoke away.

Bugger,welcome to SMF,ease over to Roll Call and introduce yourself.

As for shelter,anything imagination can conger up. Do you own your home,or can you build a structure on the property? If so ,I would opt for a cement slab(or hard ground) and build a comfy little shed(Man-Cave) for you and your smokers. Reason I say comfy is, it sounds as if you 'MAY' be staying in there a lot! ROLMAO
icon_redface.gif

Have fun and,

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

cool.gif

First off welcome to SMF there Bugger. Now there are quite a few of us for Florida heck Jerry (pineywoods) is one too. Now I have used one of those pop up roof systems for years untill it leaked more under it then not under it in the rain storm. Now anchoring it is a very good idea too I had mine blow away a few times. Then I got tried of it and built a large covered porch and it works and I don't get wet anymore. But it helps when your a builder too.

Thanks for all the replies!!! I thought about the pop up tent, but didn't think that would be stable enough.  I of course would anchor is down, I would be more concerned with the top coming off or ripping.  I then thought I could figure a way to reinforce the top.

I may just wind up building a "box" out of plywood.  Figure something about 32 inches long, 48 tall with a slanted roof to allow the water to run off.  That seems to be what I am going for.  I will also get a pop up tent but won't rely on for the only protection.

I also thought about using a tarp and fixing it to some 2 x4s.  I am worried that the tarp would melt, but I think that would be highly unlikely.

Well, up here in Washington, one of these years I'm building a more permanent structure over my BBQ area (about 16 x20 ft or so), but until then I have a sliver plastic tarp roof system over a 3/4 inch conduit system.  (I think blue is so tacky and the neighbors kept giving me dirty looks, even after the bribing of ribs).  Rain, snow, whatever, it's all fair game.  I even have 2x4's sistered up as posts to support the roof when the snow lies heavy. 

Develop a good anchoring system, put the smoker in the center of the tarp's highest point, cover it when not in use.  Sounds like you're good to go.  Prevailing or predominant winds from one direction?  Get some tarp and rig up some side walls.  You'd be surprised how strong plastic tie wraps are.  After a while when SWMBO decides you might actually stick to the smoking thing, perhaps the budget will find something more suitable.  Until then, practice your skills and increase your knowledge base with the offerings of this site and now "go forth and smoke something!!!"

I

026862102553md.jpg

I was looking for something too and saw this carport from Lowes but it is about $1,000. They have free standing ones too. It is very windy here in OK-was looking for something sturdy.

You can find Rubbermade storage sheds at Lowes.  They are small sheds made for garden tools.  You could smoke with it doors open, or add vents.  Since it's made of resin, common sense would be required when smoking

Another option is to build a small pergola and put some eye bolts at the corner posts to attach a tarp to when needed.  You would have a semi shaded area to work under and still allow plenty of light and breeze under it.  Now when you attach your eye bolts just make sure you make a little grade to the tarp so water runs off of it rather than pooling to the center.  You could probably build a good size, simple pergola for around $700 in materials not including a pad or tools. 

Last edited:
How about building a frame and adding the waffle fiberglass to the top and like RR suggested you could add eyebolts for a canvas for the sides for inclement weather

I wouldnt go with the pop up canopys or even an umbrella as ive lost two canopys and one umbrella in an out of nowhere thunderstorm that we get here so maybe built it with 2x4s and plywood shouldnt cost too much.

Do a search on Craigslist for gazebo, I have seen some iron framed gazebos for under $300. They usually have a fabric cover (kinda like the pop-up  tents), and are around 10'x10'.

I built a shed out back a couple years ago and had the builder leave a 4 foot ovehang on one side.  Works great for fire wood in the winter and for the smoker in the summer.  An el-cheapo idea if there is a welding or fabrication shop near by then see if they could fabricate (or if you are handy with metal you could do it yourself) a simple frame made of angle iron 4 feet wide, 5 feet high and about 2 feet deep and attach a piece of plywood / tin to the top of it.  I have a buddy who owns a welding shop and he lets me "Dumpster Dive" in his scap pile any time i am looking for something.  Sometimes it costs me a 12 pack of Budwiser but that is about it.  Might cost as much as as a couple pop up canopies but won't blow away if it is achored down.

Thanks everyone for the response!!  I have been sick all week so I haven't put much thought in to what I want to do.  I am leaning more towards a little plywood shelter!

I will keep everyone updated with photos!

That's pretty much what I am going for.  Mine wouldn't be as stationary as that looks.  I am going to use hinges so I can fold it up for easy storage.  I only plan on using it during rain and wind. 

I am actually working on it tonight.  Went to home depot on lunch and picked up some supplies.  I will take some pics of my progress.
This is what I have and I put a piece of plywood over the top when it is raining  
06482d34_000_0114.jpg

How did you connect the tarp to the tubing. I am looking for a cover for my small deck and this sounds like what do you do to hold it up for the snow. I live in South Dakota and hav an annual amount of 160 inches.

Thanks.

Grizz

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky