Shelf Stable Genoa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Since getting rid of my dry chamber years ago i have had to improvise and hone my fermenting/drying to adapt to my RV life.

I do use UMAi and AJ's.

Today i'm making shelf stable genoa from AJ's site. I have used his products before with great success.
Included are very user friendly instructions. Do follow them if you make shelf stable.

IMG_6158.JPG

2 of the 3 packets you use first.
IMG_1322.JPG

Italian dry wine and the genoa mix and cure together.
IMG_5295.JPG

If you can try not to use any water, just the wine.
Mix good.
IMG_9326.JPG

Im going with the genoa in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow before stuffing i will mix in the 3rd packet.
IMG_0258.JPG

For those who want to get into shelf stable SS, Salami and others i would say take a trip to his site.

I thought way back AJ was a forum member or that he went by curley's

Just did a double take of the label on the package . I go thru Washington all the time . That's about an hour from me . I'll have to see if he has a store front .

interesting, thanks for sharing! Not sure if I'll ever get to it with the never ending to do list.

Ryan

Looks good. I wonder what the amount/% of sodium nitrate and nitrite compares to Tenderquick?

I would not use any TQ, Adds to much salt to the product....But thats me

Early morning mixing of the ECA.
IMG_2580.jpg

Chubs are all stuffed.
IMG_9489.JPG

Getting 2 hours of dry time for the collagen middles.
IMG_7488.JPG

IMG_9825.JPG

Hanging in the snoopy smoker at 130 for 1.5 hours.
IMG_2358.JPG

My snoopy smoker is run by a PID, The temps are programmed. Smoke will roll at the 150 mark.
IMG_7588.JPG

I've used tenderquick in the past to make venison "pepperoni".

Venison, spices, TQ. Stuffed into natural hog casings, hung in refrigerator for about 8 weeks. Very good results.

Was just wondering how the product you used compared to TQ as far as the sodium nitrate/nitrite

Venison, spices, TQ. Stuffed into natural hog casings, hung in refrigerator for about 8 weeks. Very good results.

Was just wondering how the product you used compared to TQ as far as the sodium nitrate/nitrite

Bill, morning.... Just curious if you have calculated the nitrite/nitrate concentration in the meat...
Or do you add the TQ for the correct amount of salt ????

What is you TQ addition to how much meat... in grams or pounds is cool....

Bill, morning.... Just curious if you have calculated the nitrite/nitrate concentration in the meat...
Or do you add the TQ for the correct amount of salt ????

What is you TQ addition to how much meat... in grams or pounds is cool....
I'll have to dig out my Jerry Predika book. My notes are there.

He didn't use cures in his recipes , but i felt better using TQ.

I'm sure it will turn out good. The kit took all the rocket science out for me which is good.

Will let you know in 3-6 days after some dry time.

I was yaking with my neighbor and came back and the IT was 156 so i had to cool quick.
IMG_0406.JPG

Going to get some hang time in the barrel with just the fan.
IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yeah buddy.

The chubs are dried to my liking.
IMG_1623.JPG

Time to take the collagen middles off. Tip: if your using non edible collagen and your finding the meat is sticking, Soak the chubs in cold water for 5 mins, the collagen will peel right off.
IMG_4863.JPG

They smell great.
IMG_5793.JPG

Paper bag em and fridge for a couple days before vac sealing.
IMG_4361.JPG

Can you make that pic a scratch n sniff? I wanna smell it too!

Ryan

Yeah buddy.

The chubs are dried to my liking.
View attachment 471441

Time to take the collagen middles off. Tip: if your using non edible collagen and your finding the meat is sticking, Soak the chubs in cold water for 5 mins, the collagen will peel right off.
View attachment 471444

They smell great.
View attachment 471446

Paper bag em and fridge for a couple days before vac sealing.
View attachment 471448
Looks awesome! So is this a 3-6 day salami? Then a few more days drying?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky