Sheep or collagen casing for snack sticks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Hi all,
I was recently given two big ziplocks of goose legs. I've made fresh sausage and summer sausage in the past but never snack sticks and never with goose. I'm going to cut the goose with 50% pork shoulder to make sure the fat content is there. I'm not sure what sort of casing to use - I'm concerned the collagen casing will be too papery when chewing (that drives me nuts) but from what I've read they are generally easier to deal with than the delicate sheeps casings. Any strong opinions in either direction? Any particular brands you guys love?

I'm also considering purchasing a spice kit rather than make my own this time around. I saw companies like LEM sell the spices, cure and collagen casings all in one box. Does anyone have a premade snack stick spice kit they love? I like anything garlicky, spicy, peppery, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: JC in GB
I use collagen casings and don't ever get this sensation you describe. I like the ease of use and the snap of them.
Thank you for the vote of confidence! I've experienced it a couple times but could be operator error lol
Will be watching this thread...

JC :emoji_cat:
I'm I a little nervous to use the legs now that I'm looking at them. There is SO much sinew, if I cut it ALL out there won't be very much yield. I might put a couple through the grinder to see how much knife work they require.

Sheep casings for a change up at times. Other than that 15 to 18mm collagen. Keep them vac sealed so the oils dont dry up on em.

I prefer sheep also, not that hard working with them once ya get the hang of them.

I prefer sheep also, not that hard working with them once ya get the hang of them.
I never used them because of all the horror stories . Bought some from sausage maker ,, no problems . These were 22 to 28's and I store them in salted water .

Edit the size 24 -26

Last edited:
Sheep for me. I took the time to figure them out, which is mostly being sure they don’t hang up on the stuffing tube. I wet it with every new casing and will even spray some food grade silicone on the horn. You can fill the sheep casings full and do it quickly but u can’t stretch them out a lot. I like the 22-24 size from Sausage Maker.

Reactions: chopsaw
I’ve only used collagen and prefer 17mm but 19 is fine. I’m not a big fan of anything bigger in a snack stick but I’ve never tried the sheep casings.

What are you stuffing with?

I’ve never tried LEM but have used PS Seasoning’s Willies Snack Stick with good success. I’ve also read many great reviews from Owens BBQ and AC Legg. The PS has a snack stick hit with cure and 19mm collagen cases included.

So as far as size goes... is there a chart that says what size casing goes with what diameter tube? I believe BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker said his 15 mm casings use 3/8 od tube. Seems like I seen one...Walton's maybe?

Ryan

Well shoot guys I thought you were going to decide for me but it's pretty much an even split between collagen and sheep! I might try sheep casing first since those require more patience :emoji_laughing:

I’ve only used collagen and prefer 17mm but 19 is fine. I’m not a big fan of anything bigger in a snack stick but I’ve never tried the sheep casings.

What are you stuffing with?

I’ve never tried LEM but have used PS Seasoning’s Willies Snack Stick with good success. I’ve also read many great reviews from Owens BBQ and AC Legg. The PS has a snack stick hit with cure and 19mm collagen cases included.
I have an 11 pound Hakka knock off that came with a bunch of different sized nozzles. I believe the smallest one is preeetty small.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I use both... pending what I'm gonna do with them after they are done ... I use the smallest sheep (I believe 20-22mm) for my "Limited Edition" version (for personal consumption)... Collagen for sticks I will give away (for a small donation) ... I like the sheep better for an easier bite through...

I've tried a number of spice kits from Owens and have been happy with them all. Matter of fact, just got another order from them last week for summer sausage and sticks I'll be making this weekend.

I’ve been using the LEM seasoning packet and have been pleased with the flavor. I have been adding NFDM to it though and that has made the difference to me in something I’m proud of and something that is just edible. I’ve got a big package of seasoning from Walton’s that I’m going to try next but I’ll have to measure out the cure since it’s not predone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky