Sheep casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrwoelfel

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
New London, Mn
so I started making some sticks a couple weeks ago and had some extra casing I left in water in the fridge. Had the intent of using it the next day. Well its been more than a day. My question is will they still be good. How do I know if they are bad. There aren't that many left, so wouldn't be a big deal to throw them if there would be any question. Thanks in advance.

Only a day? In water in the fridge?

They are still good. I soak mine for 3-5 days before using them.

Sometimes it takes a few weeks to soak casings to get them soft. Your still good to go..........
icon14.gif

Boykjo 

Holy cow guys! Thanks for the info. I only soak my casings for an hour or so with a tsp of vinegar in the water.

Al

Holy cow guys! Thanks for the info. I only soak my casings for an hour or so with a tsp of vinegar in the water.

Al

You will be surprised on how silky smooth they get. Very easy to handle to.

thanks guys. I can't believe how easy they were to use. I will definitely let them soak for a couple days next time.

Any suggestions on who has the best pricing on sheep casings other than buying an entire hank's worth? I'd like to use these from time to time but a hank would last me 20 years....:help:

I usually buy my sheep casings from Waltons or my local meat market. Around $40 - 50 a hank depending on size. The home packs are kinda a waste of money. They are usually lower in quality and short lengths. A hank will stuff about 100 lbs of meat, so you need to make sausage more often or split a hank with somebody if that is an option.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky