sfprankster's (mis)adventures With an Overnight Fire-Brisket and Burnt Ends

Discussion in 'Beef' started by sfprankster, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Picked up a 14.5 lb packer brisket yesterday after work and being a tad bit too large for my 18.5" WSM, I had to cut the brisket into two pieces.

I fired up the WSM, brought it up to temperature and began smoking the brisket around midnight. Used a plant saucer and a 4 x 4 to protect my Maverick thermometer from the dew on this overnight smoke... [​IMG]

Bright and waaaaay too early this morning... [​IMG]

Wrapped the smaller piece in foil at 165, and added half a bottle of Guinness to create some steam and a jus... [​IMG]

The larger half received only a rub-no foil, no liquid, no basting... [​IMG]

The smaller piece, being foiled and well lubed with beer, finished well over an hour ahead of the larger half. With the additional liquid to steam and braise the brisket, this brisket flat came out very moist and tender.

Served with a quick veggie saute for an early dinner.

floridasteve, aggie94 and jcollins like this.
  2. On to the Burnt Ends... [​IMG]

Once the larger half of the brisket finished, I let it rest for 90 minutes before attempting to separate the point from the flat. With a sharp knife, I followed the layer of fat between the point and flat. Once separated, I cut the point into bite sized pieces. Then added a light amount of rub, a light coat of a tomato/honey based sauce and returned them to my WSM for further smoking.

...and through the magic of time lapse photography...

After a total of 22 hours of smoking meat on my day off. Beginning at midnight and finishing at a few minutes after 10pm tonight. I smoked a 14.5 lb packer brisket, made burnt ends and as an added bonus, smoked a rack of baby back ribs as well.

We'll be eating good for the next few days, here in the Santa Cruz mountains. [​IMG]  

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  3. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

SFP, Nice smoke ,looks delicious ![​IMG]

4. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

great job there......a big chunk of beef for sure....Willie

5. all of that looks awesome 

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great Looking Smoke!

[​IMG]

7. floridasteve

floridasteve Smoking Fanatic

Well done, and great review to help others. Thanks for sharing
    :points:

8. Thanx everyone!!

Loads of fun and work at the same time... [​IMG]

I keep experimenting with the smoking method on the larger cuts. The wrapped brisket, steamed in beer jus, makes some of the tastiest french dip sammies the day after the smoke. It will be difficult to give up this smoking method.  

The unwrapped brisket turned out heavenly...moist, tender and the combination of the bark......WOW!!! [​IMG]

The burnt ends turned out like meat candy.

Sooooo addicting. [​IMG]  

I always have to cut the baby backs into two mini racks. Due to my tastes of loving "Hot and Spicy", and my gf's fear of chilies. It's easier to make a pair of rubs/sauces to keep the her happy!! [​IMG]

9. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great I'll take some burnt ends please!

10. Thanx!!

I haven't figured why, but the burnt ends are always the first part of the brisket to disappear around here. [​IMG]  

11. aggie94

aggie94 Smoking Fanatic

You said misadventures, I was expecting something going wrong.  Looks to be a perfect smoke![​IMG]

12. Thanx!!

I've been using the "(mis)adventures" as a tag line for years.

It makes searching for older posts/threads I've written, on multiple boards, much easier to find. [​IMG]

It's also a weak attempt at humor and a play on words with my user name.  [​IMG]

13. dukeburger

dukeburger Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice brisky and burnt ends [​IMG]

14. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice , Prankster. I enjoy my overnight cooks.

Have fun and. . .

15. Thanx!!

First overnighter with the WSM. Missed a lot of sleep hearing every sound from the deck. Waking up and thinking the local denizens(raccoons, foxes, bobcats, mtn lions, skunks) were sneaking off with the brisket... [​IMG]  

So every sound was magnified... [​IMG]  

16. dukeburger

The first couple are like that. It gets better...

I rarely wake up at all during an overnight smoke now. I've even slept in a few times! [​IMG]

17. I hope so.... [​IMG]

I was exhausted the following day. 

18. An unusual Sunday morning in the sfprankster household, being off from work... [​IMG]  

While rooting around the fridge looking for breakfast ideas, I found a container of burnt ends hiding in the veggie drawer... [​IMG]   Who would of thought?

With a little more rummaging, I found inspiration and enough ingredients to make an improvised version of burnt ends hash and eggs for breakfast... [​IMG]

Burnt Ends Hash & Eggs

...new red potatoes(peeled and diced), fresh cracked black pepper and salt in a combination of evoo and butter into a hot skillet...

...cover and let steam while the cooking and caramelization on the potatoes begins...add chopped onions and garlic...

...let the potatoes, onions and garlic caramelize before adding the burnt ends to heat through...

...served with scrambled eggs and coffee... 

...that's how we eat here in the sfprankster household, Santa Cruz mountains style... [​IMG]

...I know...

...the hash is missing peppers...

...muh bad...

...I used them in our fajita style brisket dinner on Friday night... [​IMG]

19. dukeburger

Breakfast of champs!!

My last hash was missing potatoes...[​IMG]

20. Hard to consider it a hash without potatoes... [​IMG]