Serious smoke this weekend-I have to be crazy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scmelik

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
South Dakota
Well since I am not going to make it home to spend time with the family and help my dad with his smoke I figured I would have a smoke myself. Since I have no other plans I figured that I am going to do this right, I have a 13lbs brisket, a 3.5lbs corn beef for pastrami, a special fattie that I cannot disclose the ingredients for yet, and a few abts.

I have never done a smoke this big and it is going to be all my ecb can handle. I will try to get some pictures with my phone through-out

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the qview.
smile.gif

nope definitely not missing that at all if I had a case of coors light then I would be pizzed because I would't have anything to drink all weekend. Got a half gallon of whiskey though, that should get me through it.

I will also be doing a big smoke this weekend. Wife and kids are gone so just me, the smoker and ther full fridge of beer!

I know I know but it was my dads (mcmelik) idea and he is going to use it for the throwdown so I don't want to take anything away from his.

Ya this is all for me. I might share alittle of it with a friend of mine but most of it is mine. I plan on slicing the brisket and pastrami as thin as I can for sandwhiches, the roast will get pulled and the abts I don't think will make it out of the garage

Sounds great. I think I will be doing a butt and maybe some pastrami. I always forget to take the q-view, but will work on remembering this time.

Good luck on your smoke and look forward to seeing the pictures.

Good Luck on your big smoke.. i have done several that i would fire up lulu on friday night and she would chug along until sunday after noon...i can only do a small smoke this weekend as i have work saturday and sunday

well I got some of the prelim work done tonight. Got the chuckie rubbed up and the brisket trimmed and rubbed.

here is the chuckie all rubbed up with basic course ground black pepper, kosher salt, garlic and onion powder

Here is the brisket all trimmed up, I had to cut a chunk off the point to make it fit in my smoker.

All rubbed up. The rub is equal parts of raw sugar and brown sugar, paprika, garlic and onion powder, oregano, thyme, course ground black pepper, kosher salt, ground mustard, white pepper, and celery seed.

tomorrow night the filling for the abts will get put together and the fattie will get made. I think I enjoy the prep as much as the actual smoke. I also got "Ye Ol' Smokehouse" (aka my garage) cleaned up and ready to go for this weekend.

Will try to remember to take pictures through out. I wish I had a decent camera so that they looked like they should but unfortunately all I have is my crackberry

Nothing new yet dawn. I did get the corn beef rubbed down this morning but in my hurry forgot the picture. Tonight I plan on getting the fatty done and the filling for the abts done up. Nothing will hit the smoker until tomorrow morning sometime

Well "ye ol' smokehouse" got cranked up at 11;30 this morning and immediately I had problems. I tried the minion method again (for probably the last time) and things started off very slow and I was thinking that it might actually work this time. Well, that was up until my smoker hit 225 and I was ready to put the brisket on then my temp spike and I got some very serious white smoke going that I couldn't get under control so I had to dump the entire coal pan and start over then I could get my temps above 190 for the longedt time. Eventuallyabout 12;30 I finally got the meat on and thing have been good since.

Brisket has been sitting about 145 for about an hour now and I am hoping really for a few more hours right in there and the chuckie, well I am slightly worried about that ending up dry and tough. It was fairly thin but is still sitting under 150. Both are being spritzed with apple juice/captin morgan every hour or so.

The abts (pics coming) were pretty good although I think another hour at a higher temp would have been better to get the bacon crispy.

On deck for tomorrow is going to be the fatty and the corn beef.

Pictures to come yet

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky