Second time bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
Picked up a 13 pound belly at Super H Mart for 2.29 a pound. (with skin)

Followed Bears WIKI.

Cured in fridge for 10 days. Then washed and soaked.

Then back into the fridge
a2ce58fa_001.jpg

Out of the fridge and coated with pepper,garlic and onion.

06c7681f_002.jpg

Then off to the MES at 100 with the AMAZN filled with cherry.

Moved the temp up several times. 7 hours later the meat was at 125 and the AMAZN had burned out.

d6534de6_004.jpg

Wraped up and back to the fridge.

be9c70ff_006.jpg

Next stop..the slicer.

Anybody have a nifty trick way to get the skin off?

The Woman smelled it after it came out of the smoker and says"Yummie,can we eat it yet?".

Thanks to Bear and all who have helped me get this smoking thing goin on!!!

Craig

While the belly is still warm, with the skin side facing up, slide your knife under the skin and loosen it all the way around a couple inches, then grab onto it with a pair of pliers and slowly pull it back as you continue to slide your knife under it separating the rind from the belly, leaving as little fat as possible on the rind.  If you've refrigerated it, do it the same way, just leave it out for a few minutes first for the fat just under the skin to soften a bit.

At the store, we'd have to de-rind 60-75% of all bellies coming out of the smokehouse before refrigerating it (about 30 out of 40 bellies per batch, each smokehouse would hold about 350 lbs of bellies at a time or 36 hams at a time).

Last edited:
Reactions: solaryellow
It's a lot like filleting a fish if you're good at that.  A sharp fillet knife and a bit of patience the rind comes right off.  The smoked rind is great when cut up and cooked in a pot of beans.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats some fine looking bacon that you have there. Man I miss my bacon and I'm 1,000 miles away too.

Thanks Pops..you have been a great helper.

BTW..Where the heck were those smokehouses?

I don't recall ever seeing them.
While the belly is still warm, with the skin side facing up, slide your knife under the skin and loosen it all the way around a couple inches, then grab onto it with a pair of pliers and slowly pull it back as you continue to slide your knife under it separating the rind from the belly, leaving as little fat as possible on the rind.  If you've refrigerated it, do it the same way, just leave it out for a few minutes first for the fat just under the skin to soften a bit.

At the store, we'd have to de-rind 60-75% of all bellies coming out of the smokehouse before refrigerating it (about 30 out of 40 bellies per batch, each smokehouse would hold about 350 lbs of bellies at a time or 36 hams at a time).

Oh Yeah..this is good stuff. The Woman says it's a little too sweet. Oh well.

Ended up with just under 10 lbs.

fe8bd38c_002.jpg

They were in the right rear of the building behind the meat room, and to the left of the smokehouse room was the drip room.. an area with a poured cement floor and 2x4's horizontally on the walls where we would hang hams and bacons to drip as they cooled. To the left of that was the back room where we'd climb up the back stairs to in and out side to play basketball out back, or go upstairs into the apartment, up again into the attic, etc.

Thanks Pops..you have been a great helper.

BTW..Where the heck were those smokehouses?

I don't recall ever seeing them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky