Second Smoke and First Brisket w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokenharley

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Lancaster Co., PA
I’m probably crazy for jumping into a brisket after only one other smoke with chicken but the addiction blindsided me and I had to jump in feet first. I followed some advice on the forum – keep it simple – and did not go the marinade or injection route. I used a simple rub with mustard and followed with coarsely ground pepper, salt and a bit of Cayenne red pepper.

The brisket was about 5 pounds (no processing) and not stripped of fat. I kept the fat on the topside for the entire smoke since it was not a full brisket – did not flip or move at any time. My smoke temp was between 235 and 250 on average. It would spike on occasion with new wood but I was able to keep it fairly stable.  I was surprised that even a small brisket would stall but it did. It remained at 153 degrees for nearly 3 hours. After that point it took about 3 hours to hit 185 which is when I pulled it to slice. Nine hours to slice time and let me tell you it was the best I have ever had.

By the way the wood was mostly oak with apple and a very little bit of hickory.

R
8feec57c_IMG_0915.jpg
f6db9f10_IMG_0917.jpg
15b7ed59_IMG_0919.jpg

791b238c_IMG_0921.jpg

Dadgum buddy,

It looks really good for a first. Did you spritz it with anything to get that bark on it? The smoke ring looks real good too.

Thanks for posting.   Steve

Thanks guys. I didn't use any spritz. In fact I did not even look at it until I pulled it at 185. And the bark tasted fantastic. I just wish I would have had more juice in the pan - hardly had any. Maybe with a full brisket I'll get more juice.

cool.gif

Yes sir you are really jumping way on up there with that brisket. It looks awesome and I would be proud to put that thing on my dinner table too. you were looking for more juice to run out of your brisket but the one you have is the flat and there's not alot of fat in the flat so theres your lack of juices. You really did earn some
points.gif
 for that brisket.

Looks awesome
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
and congrats for trying it on the second smoke glad you figured out they really aren't that hard to do and just require some patience

Great looking brisket!  Definitely a hard cut to cook but you mastered it!  Great smoke ring too!.  Thats one clean looking smoker too, need to get some good use on that bad boy!

Thanks for posting!

There ya go!

Harley just proved that a brisket is not as hard to do as alot of folks make it out to be.

Simplicity and PATIENCE or the two things that make a great brisky.

It can not be rushed either by time or temprature.

Man that is one great looking brisket.

Harley, next time ya got to do a full packer and make some burnt ends from the point.

That has got to be one of the best Brisket's I have ever seen! 
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The Bark and smoke ring on that thing are intense.

Great Job and thanks for posting some great Qview!

That brisket could be a screen saver...Hmmm...

Nice job it looks awesome!! juicy and nice smoke ring man you nailed it!! I have my first one in the fridge and i hope it looks as good as yours came out.
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky