Second go at ribs.....ala' Jeff's Rub-n-Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

insight

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
In the MES it is!!..... the second time around, this time using Jeff's special rub recipe.

OH MAN THAT'S A PRETTY LOOKING RUB!!!!!

They be SWEATING, mon!!!!

In the pool and out in 6.....just can't wait for my BBQ fix!

STAY TUNED. I'll be mopping and grilling these guys at like 12 midnight!

DAYTONA TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Looking good already.

The smell of this smoke so far is just crazya$$ wild here.... in 47 degree freezing SW Florida. We have been having abnormally cold temperatures for 4 weeks now. This global warming really sucks!

Now I have a question, o' sages of the blue smoke. What would you guys do here? These ribs will be coming out at a bit after midnight and with about 20 minutes for the final mop-n-grill, I will be faced with a meal at 1 am. Sure, I'll have a rib or 2, but these are going to be consumed for the Daytona 500 tomorrow, about 14 hours for now.

I can't see refrigerating this meal. When do I cut these ribs? How should I "hold them" till race-time? I never did quite figger' this out. Any suggestions would be humbly appreciated.

(This time frame was not by choice...only by my schedule nutty busy schedule)

PS.- (I wonder if my neighbors are thinking I have a fireplace going??? LOL)

Pulled pork is about the only thing I have held for a next day event. Ribs might be a bit different. If it were me I would wrap them in foil with a little spritz of applejuice and then wrap them in towels and stick them in your cooler. Let them rest there until you are ready to rewarm for your guests. I would then put them in a pan and cover and put them in the oven at 225 to 250 and rewarm them. Should only take a half hour or so.

Might want to pull them form the smoker a bit sooner than you might normally if you are going to rest them that long and reheat them again.

I think I'd take it out of the smoker done let it rest a little, however then straight to the fridge. To me a cooler is great for a couple of hours or so as it holds temps fairly well, however, it will also hold it in the "danger zone" longer as well. 11+ hours seems long to try to hold it using just a cooler. So if it were me I'd want it to cool down faster through that zone as well especially if I wanted to serve it to friends. However, I've never had this problem so I have no real experience with it.

Interesting discussion and yes, the danger zone is one I would rather steer clear from. I have been giving this some thought as well and think I may let them rest for about 15 minutes, cut them (so reheating will take less time), and flash cool them in the fridge covered in only in plastic, not foil, as to NOT give them any insulation so this should prompt a quicker cool-down.

Any other thoughts?

Now it looks like your well on your way to one mighty fine set of ribs. The only way I think that they can be better is if I were sittin at the table awaiting the ribs to be done.

Dude, I would be honored! You are in Jax, I am in Cape Coral...we will meet in between....say.......DAYTONA?? Should I bring the ribs?

I had s similar situation with ribs for the Super Bowl. I smoked them Saturday for consumption Sunday night. I agree with these guys, you need to get them cold not sitting in a cooler all night.

I was worried about how to heat them up. I am not a fan of reheated pork, for the most part, because to me it takes on an "off" flavor if I heat it in the oven or microwave.

I sliced some slabs into individual ribs (and some not) and vacuum sealed in individual packages that amounted to about 1/2 slab of ribs each. They went into the fridge overnight and then into a cooler for transport to the SB party. I reheated them by dropping the vacuum sleaed bags into boiling water (that idea came from sombody on the forum a while back). Tried 10 min at first and that was too long. They tasted good, but were cooked too much. Rest of the batches went in for 5 min and they were great.

Hope this helps.

Can't put my finger on the taste of this latest batch, but something just didn't turn out "right". This may be personal taste preference issue.

There are too many strong paprika notes from the ribs as well as the gooeyness in the bark is a bit overwhelming for the wonderful smoked meat that lies below.

I mixed all ingredients to the "t". Going to try to de-construct this latest effort and report back after the 500 and another "investigative" evaluation.

There is no way that Emeril's rib-rub and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce can be a better combo than Jeff's time tested concoction...unless I have to adjust for taste here.

--Clueless in Florida

Let the bark set up for the first hour and a half at least before adding mop. Mine used to turn out like that till I quit mopping it until at least 1 1/2 hours into the smoke to let the bark get dried and set. I usually like to do the first spritz at about 2 hours. Otherwise you get that gooey effect which I think screws up the bark permanently. Gooey bark can, in my opinion do something bad to the taste of the final product.

Also when you're buying it do a paprika taste test on the tip of your tongue. All paprika is not created equal. Some is hotter than the hubs of hell and some is a bland as chalk. Some has a sweet spicy taste, some has a kind of harsh taste. Some is even bitter as all get out.

I get mine at the bulk food store where its easy to put a little on your finger to taste. Find the one you like best and buy that one. Believe me if you get the right paprika Jeff's rub will soar.

Cayenne is the same but risky-er to do a taste test on.

Spices at the bulk food store are usually much fresher and far far cheaper than those in those little tiny made of gold usless bottles.

PS. Emeriles Original Bamm Spice, if made with fresh spices, absolutly Rock! He gave out the recipe on TV before he became famous.

Gnu: Do you happen to have a copy of the Bam spice recipe that you might be will to share?

Forgot to post my other thought...

My wife has a cheap rice and vegetable steamer that we sometimes heat ribs up in, works out great.

Wife says she loves this 2nd batch MORE than the first Emeril/Sweet Baby Ray's combo. Go figger!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky