Second Batch of bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddemerath

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Janesville, WI
About a month age I thought I would try to make some bacon.  I picked up the Charcuterie book by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn.  I followed there advice and made some bacon.  My wife thought it was the best she had tasted.  My take, a little too salty.  So a week ago I picked up another pork belly and try again.  After curing with a salt mixture for a week in the refrigerator, I took it out, rinsed off the salt and soaked it for an hour. Then into the smoker.  Sorry but I didn't have any beginning pics, but here are the results.  This batch was very good and not near as salty!

7f23547e_smokingbacon.jpg

bfad9193_slicedbacon.jpg

It sure looks good !!! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Bearcarver

PS: You know you can check if it's too salty before you smoke it. After you soak it, cut a couple slices & fry them. If it's still too salty, soak it for another hour. Do this until you're happy with the salt taste. Then smoke it. This way you won't get a whole batch that is too salty.

Last edited:
That's how I found out the 2nd batch needed to be toned down a bit, pre-sliced and fryed up a sample.  My wife likes salt, so she thought they didn't need the extra soak.  I decided to soak for an extra 45 minutes before I smoked it.  I gave a pound to some of our friends and they want to know where to place their order.  They said they never had bacon like that before.  I tend to agree.  It will be hard to buy commercially prepared bacon again,  I will however when I make up some fattys this labor day as I tend to slice the bacon rather thick.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Welcome to your new addiction - once you make bacon you are hooked - Your next obsession will be sausage - keep inmind that you DO NOT need a stuffer - my first batch was with a funnel and a wooden spoon pushing meat into some casings -

Your bacon looks awesome Congrats man

Congratulations on your successful Smoke.  Wish I had some right now.  Scarbelly may be on to something when he talks about what may be your next obsession..
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky