seasoning my GOSM ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krusher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 31, 2008
rocky mount, virginia
Hello everyone, hope you are having a good day, I expect my smoker will be in my hands by thursday at the latest and was wondering if you could let me know about the best way to season this thing.

Also, on the site to store from walmart where I ordered it they called it a "wide body". Is this what you guys refer to as the big block?

have a good weekend
icon_exclaim.gif

Most folks season them the way you'd season a cast iron pot.

Rub (or spray) them with a little oil.
Get a good fire going (without food).

The wide body is not as big as the big block, but yet a very nice size unit. The wide body is the one I have, fer alota ribs, yall can use racks ta stand em up on end. Works very well.

As fer seasonin the unit, there will be directions with it, but the jest of it is: Wash yer racks in soapy water an dry. I did wipe out the inside with a damp warm rag. Then get yerself a can a the cheap no stick spray, spray the racks an the inside a the unit. I started out at bout 250 fer an hour, then upped the temp ta bout 350 fer an hour, dropped back down ta 250 an added a pan a wood, let her go till my smoke was gone. Started smoken the next day.

Good luck with yer new toy.

I believe the wide body and the big block are different if your getting the wide body from walmart it is the same smoker I have. I washed mine out and let it dry once dried I sprayed the whole inside with a can of Pam filled the water pan filled the chip box then lit it and ran the temp up to 250* for an hour then up to 350* for an hour. That seems to have done the job it smokes fine
biggrin.gif

i got the same one and seasoned it yesterday. i just did what the owner's manual said. just threw everything inside with the water pan and smoke box and let it rip. the manual says to do it at 175 (i think, can't remember off the top of my head) for 45-60 mins, but i couldn't get mine to stay at a low temp, so i went 250 (since that's what i usually smoked stuff on my grill over indirect heat) for 60 mins.

i can't wait to smoke something here soon! i was grinning from ear to ear just during the seasoning session. hope you enjoy as much as i did.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky