Seasoning an used smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

torchrider

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
OK, I think I have about used up my allotment of NEWB questions. I did a search on seasoning and can only find seasoning for new smokers. When I get mine mounted I want to really clean it well inside and out. I was thinking about using a wire brush on a drill. Is this the best way to clean it? Should i bother to cleanout the inside? Once clean can I just coat the inside and outside in cooking oil and build a fire in it for a few hours?

When you throughly clean it you'll be cleaning the seasoning off, so you can then use the regular seasoning instructions.

When I seasoned mine I just sprayed with Pam and heated to around 280 for 3 or so hours. It developed a nice black seasoning layer.

What he said, and took it one step more, I did my Lang the same way but then smoke cured it another 3 hrs as told to with the new Lang directions.

I used a pressure washer to clean my smoker when I got it. What a mess mostly all over me
biggrin.gif
but it did get it pretty clean then I just coated everything with cooking oil like doing a new smoker

It will work just don't wear good clothes seems I ended up with lots of stuff bounced back at me but it did a good job and I needed a shower anyhow. Consider some safety glasses or something just to keep it out of your eyes

When you first get your smoker it may have a thick layer of some nasty looking grease type stuff on the inside. If so you can use a MAPP gas torch (hand held) to heat the stuff up then you can scrape 90% off it of before you power wash.

Then once you have it all cleaned and assembled spray down the inside with PAM and fire it up and get some smoke going for at least 3 hrs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky