Searing pork chops in a cast iron skillet in the smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SandyWood

Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
I'm going to try some pork chops in my smoker and have read a few recipes that suggest smoking the chops until about 100 degrees and then putting a cast iron skillet into the smoker to sear them and bring them up to 145 degrees. I like that idea but I'm wondering if you need to preheat the skillet first before sticking it into the smoker?

Looking for suggestions.

I’d smoke to around 120 and then just seat in cast iron on a grill or stir to reverse seat it. Better yet on the griddle.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I've never seared with cast iron IN the smoker.
It's been my experience that even preheated the CI needs to remain above a direct heat source to stay hot enough for searing.
Pan directly above a burner or in the firebox works.
I usually just throw them onto the grill once out of the smoker.

I sear on the side burner on my gasser all of the time, haven't tried on my smoker. You have to get the CI screaming hot then add the meat to it for the best benefit, plus obviously a high smoke oil, or my preference ghee.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I'm going to invest in a Blackstone griddle as wife prefers fried versus grilled for pork chops.
This is going to be fun when wife approves of a new appliance.

I got the little 22"er a couple three months back, you will absolutely love that thing! Breakfast, burgers, cheesesteak sannys all seem to come out better on the flattop. Of course I imagine outdoor cooking will be a little nippy for you during the winter. RAY

Few Smokers have the ability to get CI to 600°+ for a good Sear. If you don't have a high heat source outside, Smoke your Chops to 100°F then take them in and Sear on the CI on your stove...JJ

What JJ said.

I will say it’s an Instagram myth recipe.....I have seen wayyyyyyy toooooo manyyyyy clips of people opening up a smoker to this searing hot CI next to a brisket or something else smoking.....basic thermodynamics says you can’t have a 225 deg heat source and create 600 degree seared pan.....but some how instagram has invented a way to overcome that.

PS I use the side burner or stove just as JJ suggested!

• Haha
Reactions: SandyWood
Depends partially on your smoker. I can do that on my pellet smoker by opening the sear station and cranking it up, but I'd rather just sear over the open flame. The exception is for duck breast when I use the CI over the sear box to render the fat.

Thanks a ton to all for the illuminating discussion. My smoker only goes to 275 so I didn't think I could get my CI up to searing heat. So many of the recipes I run into out on the web have you put a skillet into the smoker. It's great to get first hand knowledge and experience from the folks on this forum as it makes my life infinitely easier!

Thanks again for all the tips!

Thanks a ton to all for the illuminating discussion. My smoker only goes to 275 so I didn't think I could get my CI up to searing heat. So many of the recipes I run into out on the web have you put a skillet into the smoker. It's great to get first hand knowledge and experience from the folks on this forum as it makes my life infinitely easier!

Thanks again for all the tips!
I use the smoker to dah smoke.
I usually use my oven to finish the cook on brisket and butt.
Few Smokers have the ability to get CI to 600°+ for a good Sear. If you don't have a high heat source outside, Smoke your Chops to 100°F then take them in and Sear on the CI on your stove...JJ
This is it unless you have a griddle.

Thanks for the likes HalfSmoked HalfSmoked , GATOR240 GATOR240 , and sawhorseray sawhorseray .
A griddle is a compromise as I swore off gas, but because there is iron involved and the girlfriend (wife) has preferences, I will comply with more tools.

Neighbors think I'm crazy. I grill and smoke all through the winter. I'll take a break when the temps go below -10°

Reactions: SandyWood
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky