Seared - Cured Baby Backs W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
These were from a score last week. I think 2.69 a pound.

Cured for almost 2 hours W/ 2.5 tbs TQ. They were nice and pink before curing. I am not looking for a complete cure, just some flavor. Not being thick I think this will sufice for what I want. I Have done these before this way.

Yoshidas, garlic, and lemon pepper.

All seared and on to the smoker, got rid of the excess fat.

More to come later.

I've never cured. I thought one cured if they were going to cold smoke perishable meat. But you seared these, so I presume you're going to smoke them and eat them right away? I don't understand why you cured them then.

Look great already with just the sear Ron!
Can't wait to see how deliciously good they come out after the smoke. Because of you have have tried curing then smoking some thighs and quarters and they were really, really good.
Keep up the good work!

They look good Ron, I would think curing would give them a hammy taste am I correct?
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

For the flavor and texture, it makes a difference.

That is it right on.

I think you mean brining not curing ? As far as I know curing can only be done by cold smoking usually after brining. However, I agree that brining can add a lot of flavor. Do it all the time with pheasant.

I didn't brine I cured it., Brining would include a liquid and soaking it.
It was just rubbed with TQ. Also I am not cold smoking, temps are at 225'.

Man Ron those ribs sounds really good with the cure on them you said you only left it on for about 2 hours. I cann't wait for the finished product.
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
Eyes glued wide open

Wait no more, here they are.

Ready for the foil after 3 hours.

I tried something different and sauced in the foil.

Sweet Bab Rays and some Kikoman plum sauce.

Ready to chomp down.

Man they were good. Total time about 4 1/2 hours.

Thanks for watching.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky