seared chuck roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke freak

StickBurners
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Kansas
Gonna smoke a couple chuck roasts tomorrow. Just wonderin if Okie's searing method would work for these. Anybody out there got any ideas?

Waste of time IMHO. Rub them down and throw them on the smoker. But then again, I'm all for easy.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Beef and searing go together... I even sear my pot roast before cooking it in my Dutch Oven.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Ok, I feel out numbered here and it looks like a good debate.

What benefit will you get from sear'n?
Seal up the juices? Alton Brown answered that question.
Carmelization? I could see that......but wouldn't you still get that smoke'n at 225?

I honestly don't know. If you do it for roasts why not brisket? I've tried both ways w/steak, no difference w/me and my family.

I really would like to know. I feel like I'm miss'n something.

Don't want to rob your thread Smoke Freak, but we all might learn something here.

I still vote NO. Prove me wrong, ........please.

I don't have any science books to back me up, but I'm of the mindset that searing beef seals the juices in, plus it gives you a really tasty bark. I've been doing it for years with my pot roasts in the DO, plus I've seared beef when just grilling. All turned out wunnerful!

When I heard of SmokieOkie's method of doing briskets, I thought that made sense... and it did! I do all my briskets his way now. I seared a beef shoulder roast before smoking it... Damn that was good too!

It's the same result you get when deep frying a turkey... when you lower that turkey in that hot oil, it sears the outer surfaces and seals the juices in.

All I can say is, if you haven't tried it yet, then you must!

I'm not convinced that searing seals in the juices but I know it gives beef a great flavor and bark! I believe it would be a good thing to do on a chuck roast.

Al you are entitled to your point of view. But you only have one view if you haven't tried the searing technique yet. Give it a shot on one brisket, it's only a day in the life of a turd anyway. I know you've seen the threads where others have tried it and stand by it now. Maybe you'll be a convert too. I won't do every brisket in that manner, but I will do MANY more with a good sear. Same goes with most large chunks of beef.

I am a little late to this party, but will throw in my hat in the "doesn't seal in juices" catagory. Yep, Alton covered it in the Food Myths show. Got a couple of books at home that mention that as well. If I am not mistaken, it has been proven to cause a greater net loss in moisture than not searing. There is, however, no denying that it helps with the flavor.

Bottom line in my eyes is, if you want to sear then sear.........

http://books.google.com/books?id=iX0...itle#PPA161,M1

Hopefully this link will work and take you to page 161 of "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen" It is kind of the end all be all of food science reference books if you are not familiar with it. Great book to have around if you are into that sort of thing............if you aren't into it, then it is just damn boring. LOL

"Sealing in the juices" ranks right there with "adding moisture" - ain't gonna happen.
Searing is all about FLAVOR. If you don't sear you are missing out. Ya turd.

Thanks for the heads up on the book Joe. I think I'll check it out.

As to the Alton Brown show you're referring to, it seems like i had some problems with the way AB "proved his position". One of which was the thickness of the meat he used. I'm not contesting the results, just whether or not his method proved anything.

As to searing, there's not much question as to what it does for flavor. The majority of the culinary world seems to agree with that.

Clyde;89549 said:
As to the Alton Brown show you're referring to, it seems like i had some problems with the way AB "proved his position". One of which was the thickness of the meat he used. I'm not contesting the results, just whether or not his method proved anything.

quote]

Yeah, I would agree that it may not be the best example, but it is a name everyone recognizes and is usually better received than a reference from a book.

I haven't seard any thing yet, but I will sear the next piece of meat I do. It seems that every one agrees that it's a good thing, but I'm that "show me" kind of a guy. It sures looks good though.

I figured I would jump in with my .02 worth. I just smoked my first brisket yesterday. It was from the cow we just butchered and the meat shop had a special garlic marinade they used to seal it in. I didn't add anything, just opened up, probed and smoked to 170. Spritzed with apple juice, wrapped in foil and took it up to 185, pulled it off, let it rest then sliced it up. For my first brisket I was pleasantly surprised. I must say though I thought long and hard about searing it first as I have read Okie's method thoroughly and it looks solid. But I figured I would need something to compare it to so I did it this way first. Next weekend will be searing time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky