Seared Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 21, 2006
Western Kansas
Well I'm try'n this out today. 13.61# brisket seared mostly just the "meat" side, just did a little on fat cap and didn't see much use. I like to just start to separate the flat from the point, maybe half way through, put on rub and into smoker. I just added a little worchest sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic pwdr. Want to get a true taste of sear.

The sear went better than I thought, and smelled GREAT. I didn't rub till after the sear, but I did start the separation befor the sear. Here's the pics http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z2/lonefarm/

And I'll put pics on here too.

You can see where I started to cut on lower right side of brisket, just follow the fat and you won't cut any meat. Is this the "kernal" area?

Spread open a bit.

The seared brisket

Some worchest added, then decided to take pic first.

In the smoker now for 40 min, had to add some applejuice to keep flat moist for good smoke ring development. Guessing sear held in juices? IMO, I don't think so. We will see.

I hope this helps anyone interested, maybe someone can tell me if this is right or not on the sear.

I'm not big on the sear, more work, but I told Okie I'd try it.

Will update as the day goes on. Smoker going good at 227* w/hickory.

Look's good Al, no, searing does not hold in the juice's...
Not sure of the resoning for searing it first but have heard rave review's so i'm glad your trying it!!
Keep us posted!!
cool.gif

The reason for the sear is FLAVOR. And it needs to be completely and well seared on all sides, edges. A bit more work, sure, but worth it.
I AM big on the sear.

Mike, I didn't do much on the fat side as I cut that off, mistake?

Is this one seared enough on the flat?

Thanks

I've been there when the Okie did a brisket, and I've done a brisket myself with the Okie by my side for guidance. And I've done Okie's brisket here at home. Done per his method it is OUTSTANDING.
You need to sear it a bit more, blacken it. As the Okie says - You will think it is ruined, but it's not! He does not trim the fat, it renders as the brisket cooks.
And he rubs it and wraps tight in clear plastic, puts it in the fridge overnight. Before searing, he coats it heavy with ground black pepper, hand rubs it in, then goes for the sear over a HOT lump fire in the grill.
Good luck with the brisket Al. Let us know how it does, pics also!

One addition to the Okie method so far not mentioned is to put the brisket in one of those disposable aluminum pans while smoking. Now that I have smoked several by his method, I'll never do a brisket any other way!

Al:

Searing is strictly for flavor. The holding in the juices thing is another one of those myths. There are some big down sides to the searing thing but many people here really love the flavor it imparts to the brisket.

As in all things in life, there is more then one road to get to the same destination and it is up to you to choose which one.

Nav, I like to smoke fat down on the smoker till it hits 160-170 then put in alum pan fat down and cover w/foil till its done. That is how I'll do this one also. I want to keep everything as close to how I do it as possible so that the sear is the only difference.

Sounds like I didn't do it enough, not near enough.

You guys that sear your briskets, take pics and show us how to do it and how it should look. If it's that good I'd like to try it the right way. I just hope what I did wasn't a waste of time(sear). I want to give it a good chance to compare. This one here might not be right.

Thanks.

Yep, Ron, I saw the Alton Brown test on searing.

We really like the way I normally do brisket, I'm just try'n something new as it does get boring doing it the same ol way every time.

Hit 160 and was kinda stall'n for a while, so I decided to go ahead and foil. Only about 5.5 or 6 hrs into smoke. This looks like it will go kinda fast. Doesn't have anything to do w/sear as I've had them do this before. We'll see. Anyway heres a pic of it before foil, will keep updating.

Time to get stuff ready to do some wicked beans, w.KS style. Plan on add'n some skirt and extra from spares, chicken breast wrapped in bacon and some brisket w/brisket juice. Gonna have to plan this just right. Don't want brisket in the beans too long as I want to keep the brisket taste to the meat and not a bean taste. We'll see if I even get that far, it's 5:00 somewhere.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Looks great Al, a lot better then that spaghetti concoction you made last week ;)

What?!!! You didn't like my spagetti/cajun/creole in the DO? I'm hurt! So was everyone that ate it too!
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

That was a PERFECT example of what NOT to do.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I keep tell'n my wife I'm "perfect", I can make a "perfect" disaster of anything.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Temp at 180*, won't be long before it's done. Going fast, but we'll see.....it may change it's mind.

Smoker temp at 231*, had a spike of 256 and a low of 207 but got that taken care of in less than 1/2 hr.

Sounds good Al; I'm smoking birds myself but I'm thinking brisket!

This one will Bubba. It's not like a traeger where you set it to 225 and walk away. A traeger set at 225 will vary up to 20* +/-, and I've had it do more. The Lou needs "dialed" in. It will go up a bit once the meat has gotten hot, but it's not too hard to dial it in to 225 and it will only vary 5* +/- .......I've watched it......for too long.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Pellet smokers are made for those who don't have access to "good" smoke'n wood and that like it easy.

Ok, enough. Sorry, don't get me started on pellet smokers.....as if you didn't already know.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Brisket is resting after 8.5 hrs on smoker, .625hr/#.....not incl rest and prep of sear and rub. I'd call that FAST! For me anyway.

Pic's will come after a good hr rest and slice'n. Beans are on and ready for some brisket, too. Smell great and some additions that I think will really add to them.......but we'll see. I still remember the spagetti thing that went.....well it didn't taste as good as it smelled.
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

Here for all pics http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z2/lonefarm/

Here's done and sliced

I didn't taste anything different. I had trouble at first w/keep'n the meat moist to help develope a nice smoke ring, but then it got better.

I may try it again and do more of a sear, but I guess I like my way better, it's easier.
icon_biggrin.gif

That is what I found anyway, to each their own.

Here is a brisket we seared at Okie's ranch, "in process". Also the fire we seared it over. It is Mexican mesquite lump charcoal and burns hotter than any lump I've ever used.
63aeea1c_vbattach16646.jpg

3e28b1b1_vbattach16645.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky