Seared Brisket wtih Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

abelman

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 14, 2007
Littleton, CO
Well, since I'm not working on the Fatty throwdown, I decided to try searing a brisket. I found this 8.5 lb point with a great fat cap and decided to give it a try.

I did things a little different though. First, I injected it with a hot, butter based marinade. I did that yesterday morning. Then, I basted it with a LA basting sauce this morning:

I then put on Jeff's rub, which I always use with a brisket:

So, let the searing begin. Got temps up around 700 degrees and let her rip:

That took some time and the flames were flying, LOL. I let it go until it was "seared":

Then, I put another lite bast on it and more rub. It's been in the smoker at 235, fat cap down, with applewood and charcol now for almost 2 hours. I think I'll pull this one as it's a point.

I'll keep this updated as far as my progress goes.

Thanks Ken, I've done a lot of briskets but have heard so much about searing. So, I decided it was time to try it. I'll have a good sense if it worked or if I screwed it up once it's finished. We'll see soon enough.

you are gonna love it, great sear job. spose esp with the rub on before really have bark eh!!! great job be watchin this, brisket my new favorite cut of meat. great job!!

I doub't you screwed up, think you'll love it.

Thanks guys. Brisket has been my favorite cut of meat and smoke. From the tid bits I've picked off so far, things look good. Started to mop with the basting sauce st 140. So, two basts in, at 152 and pretty much entering the plateau area.

Just made a make shift pan out of foil as I figured out I am out of stock. This will work fine for what I need it for. Anyway, here she is at 3.5 hours:

Great looking sear and it looks really good as it progresses. That is going to a tender piece of melt-in-your-mouth meat when it's all said and done!

looks good so far if it tastes as good as it looks i might just have to try that sear thing.
confused.gif

Thanks Laurel, coming from you, I appreaciate it. You've done some great work on the sears. So, this is my first shot at searing after doing a good amount of "traditional" brisket.

I'm really curious and anxious to see how they stack up. I think I already know the answer but will let the family decide. Kids are brutally honest so they'll be the final judge
biggrin.gif

One thing that is very evident, the smoke is faster as the sear gets the internal higher from the get go. Gotta like that, at least I do
biggrin.gif

Well, it took 8 hours to smoke and the funny thing is, I never had a plateau. That may have been part of the problem. It blazed through and for a 8.5 lb popint to finish in 8 hours is strange per the status quo. I put it in the cooler for an hour after we hit 200 and figured I'd be good to go.

I have to be honest here. The qview may look OK but something went wrong on the way to the Circle K, LOL. This is the first time I have done a point as I have always done flats in the past. I am not a fan of my smoke here. It just didn't work for the taste buds for whatever reason. So, I'll stick to flats and do them as I have normally done them.

For what it's worth, here are the finished pics:

As I always say, if you aren't making mistakes, you aren't trying hard enough. You make the same mistake twice, you aren't learning. After todays smoke, I can assure you I'm trying
biggrin.gif

Doctor some of that pulled brisket up with some sauce, a toasted bun, and some peppers and onions. That'll light up the taste buds!! Overall, really great smoke, definitely something to be proud of!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks Laurel but that's pretty much what we did less the veggies. It may be a one off thing. Funny thing is, I have never seen a point by itself in the store. So, when I saw this one, I scooped it up. No worries, I have done enough brisket to know what it's like when done properly. I'll just stick to flat's and will be good to good.

Thanks for being kind
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

P.S. this is the way I like brisket:

I know we are our own worst critics. Your qview looks great and I wouldn't worry about serving that at my house to anyone!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky