Sealing fire box to cook chamber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinmichman

Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
Michigan
Hi, i am new to the forum and still fairly new to smoking meat. I have always used an old charcoal grill and did indirect heat and had good results. I just bought a Oklahoma Joe Highland smoker and wanted to seal the fire box to the cook chamber. I used a 2000°F wood stove fire caulk. Is that ok to use after i season the grill? Thanks for any info.

Ok, I was worried about the caulk putting off chemicals into the food. I ordered the lava lock tape for the doors and hoping that my buddy can make me a tuning pan for it. Thanks for the info.

Ok, I was worried about the caulk putting off chemicals into the food. I ordered the lava lock tape for the doors and hoping that my buddy can make me a tuning pan for it. Thanks for the info.
Make sure that caulking is food safe what ever you do. I found a 1800 degree one but was warned to not be used for food. Most food safe is less than 800 degrees. So I gave up and I had mine welded....it was the only way....DO NOT USE RTV. IT MELTS @ 650. One full chimney of coals did me in. Lave lock is awesome stuff. But I had the same metal guy that welded my unit together also make my lids shut and fit correctly. It was well worth the money. I only wish he had time to grind out the bonded metal glue(jb-weld) on the outside ends of the cook chamber and have them welded. However thin metal is tough to weld without bending and warping. Takes real skill. Probably why they glue it.

I pulled the firebox apart and put a bead between that and the cook chamber then bolted it back together. Then i ran a bead between the top and bottom half of the firebox.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky