Sealer tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

Not sure if this is right spot for this. I got my inkbird sealer and stock bags. I had no issues with meat and stuff but I had issues with fruit. I froze some strawberries I had cut in half without any juices. When I thawed em out in the fridge they ended up mushy and full of water. looked ok when I sealed em and they were frozen. I didn't open em till they were defrosted. Any sealer tips I should know about?

When I thawed em out in the fridge they ended up mushy and full of water.

This isnt caused by vac sealing. Its caused by freezing. Water expends when it freezes, rupturing cell walls.
Freezer-frozen fruit will always thaw to mush. Getting crushed in a vac bag only makes the problem worse.
Still good for preserves and smoothies though.

Last edited:
I have not actually tried it, but saw it done by Alton Brown on Food Network.
Flash freeze using dry ice
1) Prepackage/portion into bags but don't seal the bags
2) Put bags into container with dry ice; a cooler works well
3) After a few minutes it should be frozen solid
4) Vac seal the bag and place in freezer
A couple of things to remember; dry ice will cause burns, use heavy gloves
The dry ice works better if broken into smaller pieces
Don't lean over the container and breathe in

We freeze red grapes all the time, but just in regular zip lock bags. They are really good frozen. We Eat them quick enough that we don’t have to worry about freezer burn. If you have never had frozen grapes, try them, they are addictive!
Al

Yeah, they're a great summertime treat - very refreshing on a hot day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky