Sausage stuffing 101

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 21, 2006
Monroe, La
I have never tried to stuff my own sausages. I have always just made patty sausage.

My old meat grinder came with sausage stuffing tubes but I long ago lost the owner's manual.

My question is, when you get your meat all ground and mixed and ready to stuff, do you take your cutter and your plate off the grinder and just use the auger to push the meat into the casings?

Debi's Bratwurst has got me ready to try this so any info would be appreciated.

Rodger, My unit requires (at least that's what the instructions say) that I leave the cutter and the plate on. I find that this also further cuts/grinds the meat making an almost paste like consistancy of the mix.

I tried it with the plate in place and no cutter. No luck. It just bound up in the plate. I've never tried without both though. I'd like to know if this works though because by the time I'm ready to stuff the meat is at the consistency I want!

You would remove the plate and the knife. You should have a little piece that goes in to hold your worm (auger) in. Then you put your stuffing horn on the cap and screw it in. It is easy as pie. What size of grinder do you have? If you do not see either a plate with really big holes in it (like 2 or 3 holes) or a star piece (3 legs) then you may have to go by a stuffing plate.

Hanifen

Cajun,theres a spacer you can buy to take care of this problem.I made one out of plexiglass myself.If I can attach this pic its the part on the lower left and can be bought at The Sausage Maker.
5a11a69d_vbattach11674.gif

Thanks for the help guys.

I think I have something about like DacDots is showing. Here is a picture

This is a Moulinex A15 electric grinder about 20 - 25 years old. I just figured out that I can put the blade and a plate on and the collar will start. I can put the blade and the stuffing tube on and the collar will start, but if I put both on the collar won't start. Soooo, I guess it is just the blade and tube for this one.

I'll give it a try if I can find some casings locally and let you know.

Cajunsmoker, On the back of your auger, is there a key that slips into the motor, if so just put auger in, the sausage tube and nut…tube will keep auger in motor. I have that $100 Krups (The Butcher Shop) el cheapo grinder, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a 150 watt motor, but it will grind more than 2 lbs. a minute, so what the hey! Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t try to add hi temp cheese though, the auger turns it into mush. I tried it, you end up with yellow meat (not very appetizing looking) I do my venison breakfast links on, it does a fine job…course I only do 8-10 lbs at a time. My grandkids like it better than Bob Evans! Talk about puffin me up! You know what Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m talkin bout!
icon_rolleyes.gif

I have one similar to that but with a regular straight handle not a wheel. I always thought it was a PITA so I always made patties. Still use it as a grinder though - slow but it works.

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

MORE POWER!

I can see the meat flying accross the room now. 50 feet of sausage in 30 seconds flat .... vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroom!

As fast as you can feed it'll pump it out - watch the fingers!

Sorry Tom -

I got carried away!

I saw one online someplace that used a variable speed drill to power it. You could use just about any motor. I'd make the meat table wider though.

Makes me think of Star Trek, Give me more power Scotty! I'm givin er all she's got Cap'n!!!!!!!!

Power?? Maybe need a back board mod so it doesn't fly all over the place!!?? This might be a good one for myth busters, I could see them hooking up like a Chevy 350 and seeing how fast and how far they could shoot it!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Gunslinger,all you need is a 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor 1750 rpm,a 1 inch wheel on the motor and a belt and your in business.Thats what I have set up with a similar grinder and it works great.It will grind just as fast as you can feed it.Theres a picture of it here in the forums somewhere.

I thought I seen a pic of one here. Ever use it to stuff casings? I have have a small stuffer, but have contemplated getting one like what Grizzly sells. I live 25 miles from their catalogue distribution center, so I could save the shipping.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky