Sausage Soup, This is Where It All Pays Off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Smoking, growing your own vegetables, making your own sausage and bacon are all great activities on their own. However, they bring up the level on all the food in your home.

As it is cooling down, I made Sausage Soup with a lot of ingredients that I have grown or made.

The ingredients are:

2 fresh sausages (the recipe is meant for mild Italian sausage but I used some fresh garlic sausage I made, you can use any fresh sausage.)

1 tablespoon oil

1 1/2 cups diced onion

1/2 cup diced back (Canadian) bacon or smoked ham. I used the end cuttings off my maple back (Canadian) bacon.

2 cups diced tomatoes (I used some tomatoes from my garden that I had frozen, you could also used canned diced tomatoes).

5 cups chicken stock (I used homemade chicken stock made from carcasses of chickens I had smoked)

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried rosemary

1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage

1/2 cup chopped chili pepper (I used a medium hot chili I grew in my garden. You can adjust this based on how hot your peppers are.)

1/2 cup orzo or other small pasta

1 cup chopped vegetables (I used green beans from my garden).

I cooked the sausage until it was firm. You can fry, microwave or steam. It doesn't matter as long as the sausage stays together. I like larger dice to get some chew in my soup. Dice it up as you like it.

I put the oil in a large pot and heated it over medium heat. I added the onion and cooked it until it was just beginning to soften.

Add the back (Canadian) bacon or ham and cook for 1 to two minutes. There should just be the beginnings of browning in the bottom of the pot.

Through in the diced sausage and stir until a nice layer of brown bits are in the bottom of the pan, 2-3 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and the chicken stock. Bring it to a boil and turn down to a simmer.

Fine chop the chili pepper and add it to the soup.

Add the basil, rosemary and sage.

Simmer the soup for 30 minutes. Add the orzo and green beans.

Simmer for 30 minutes and serve!

The Verdict

This turned out great. The sausage makes it a rich soup for a cold day. The bacon trimmings give it a smoky flavour. The home grown vegetables give a nice bright flavour. This is soooo good. It almost makes a cold day worthwhile. It just wouldn't have been as good without all the home made/grown ingredients.

Disco

Ah, great soup for the cold snowy days ahead.

Man Disco, that sure looks really good. Being who I am the only thing missing is the cornbread. Nice cook. CF
Thanks, CF. I have always loved soup. However, being a Canadian, we never had cornbread as a side when I was a kid. My mother would make Johnny bread and we'd have it with butter and honey. Now I love it as a side for chili but never thought of it with soup. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, and its a beautiful day, when it does....LOL

Its pouring down raining right now, they had just got all the old shingles striped from the front of the roof this morning. LOL
That falls under the "ah crap" category.

Very nice Disco, I ate but now I'am very hungry again ! :beercheer:

:points1:

Last edited:
Oh yeah.....nothing like a good bowl of hot soup for a cool evenings dinner and all from your own larder.....awesome. Getting cooler up here in the PNW as well so starting to consider the 'soup & sandwich' dinners again. Disco, I gotta say....you're looking mighty happy in your new profile pic, thinking you found your retirement groove? Every time I see that pic I think of you being the host of a PBS style cooking show. Enjoy every minute.....Willie

Fine looking pot of Goodness Disco, agree that the makings we have from gardens, other smoking projects and cooks sure do help with bringing another depth of flavor and  add ins to our supper tables. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the pics. 

Very nice Disco, I ate but now I'am very hungry again !
beercheer.gif

points1.png
Thanks for the point, Brew!
Great looking soup Disco!
Thanks, Brooksy. I love my soup.

MY T FINE! As always a great step by step. It won't be long till it is cool in my neck of the woods.

Happy smoken.

David
Thanks, David. So we will be seeing a soup post from you soon?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky