sausage recipes, quite a number of them

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
I was cruising today and found this site with a lot of good looking sausage recipes!

http://www.sausagemania.com/recipes.pdf

I didn't check out their other products yet, I was out looking for a venison smoked stick recipe...

They also have a good conversion chart on the last page for metric weights to english.

Shell, thanks for sharing the link
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Shelley, here are two more.

Snack Sticks

Snack Sticks
Ingredients:

• 10 lbs lean ground meat

• 2 teaspoons curing salt
    4 tablespoons salt
    3 teaspoons white pepper
    3 teaspoons nutmeg
    3 teaspoons celery seed
    3 teaspoons garlic granules
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup Flavor Binder 86
    1 cup cold water

• Casings:
1 strand 22 mm collagen casings
Top of Page
January 7, 2003
Directions:

1. Combine ground meat with all remaining ingredients (except casings) in a large mixing bowl, mix/knead thoroughly up to 2 minutes.
  2. Taste test by frying a small quarter-size patty to see if you approve of the flavor as is. Make changes if needed.
  3. Stuff seasoned meat mixture into 22MM-26MM collagen casings or 22-24MM sheep casings.
  1. Directions for Oven Processing
  2. Directions for Smoker Processing
  3. After oven or smoker processing remainder should be frozen until needed.
  4. True venison lovers can grind together 9 lbs. of trimmed venison and 1 lb. of fresh beef fat for the above recipe.

Only The Best Sausage and

Snack Stick Recipe
Hi all,

I was asked to share a snack stick recipe that I use so here it is. Please bear in mind that this is still in the developement stage. I get a lot of requests for the sticks from friends and family but I haven't figured out if it's because they're really good or because they're free.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\images\smilies\wink.gif

All amounts are per lb of meat:

1/2 TBS Tender Quick
1 TBS of Powdered Milk
1/8 Cup of Dark Brown Suger
1/8 Cup of Worchestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup of Soy Sauce
1/4 TSP Dry Mustard
1/4 TSP of Black Pepper
1/4 TSP of Liquid Smoke

I usually smoke these at 175 for about an hour and then kick the temp up to 200 until the internal temp of the sticks reach 165. I have tried using cherry and apple but we prefer hickory along with 3 or 4 briquets of Kingsford charcoal in the wood box. ( I use a GOSMS and we like the flavor of charcoal).

As you can see this is a simple basic recipe, nothing special at this point but the sticks are good. I was having a problem with the sticks being really dry after smoking but I think I've got a handle on that with the addition of the powdered milk. I also found that if I allow the sticks to cool for about an hour and then put them in zip lock bags and into the refrigerator there is condensation and a lot of the moisture and flavor is retained. They are much better after 3 or 4 days but who can wait that long.
I know there is always room for improvement and there is real talent in this forum so if anyone has any suggestions or tips I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Have a good one.
Mike

I'm pretty sure this is from the forum.

thankx shelly.........bookmarked it.........and plan on printing it out........at the WIFES werk........lil bit at a time.......hehehee

d88de

Good one Shell! Lots of good recipes there. I've tried quite a few over the years and they are usually very good!

Terry - what's a flavor binder 86 hon? Is it a starter culture?

I don't know sweetie, I just posted the recipe that I had. I was hoping you would see that, and tell me? I was guessing, something like powdered milk? I will Call Eldon's shop tommorrow and see what they know.
icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe it's some packaged thing they sell. Only thing that looks missing is maybe powdered milk / butter milk solids or maybe they use soy protein, but they called it FLAVOR binder so I'd go with half butter milk half powdered milk if I was guessing.

I might try it and just replace the water with butermilk and add the mystery stuff as powdered milk. Should work.

Hello sweet ladys.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
Here's what I found, don't say I never do nothin for ya.
tongue.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Product ID: Ekc-852-2 Category: Sausage Making Ingredients
Flavor Binder 86 - 2 Lb Bag
Description: Flavor Binder 86 is high in protein. Reduces shrinkage while binding meat and fat together. Formulated from Hydrolyzed Milk Products and Lactose Whey. Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup for each 10 lbs. of sausage meat. Net wt. 2 lbs. (6 cups).
Price: $14.95

Heck, I forgot to add.................Thanks for the link Shellbell, looks great!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Also, thanks for the recipes Terry.
icon_mrgreen.gif

coegurl............i looked at the cured pork chops.......but doenst seem to me to be like the ones in get in the store.......socalled "smoked chops"........pink in nature........sometime salty as heck, they need to be soake for a bit to remove some of the salt.........

i am looking for a recipe to get these types of chops you find in the stores.....bout 3/8 th thick......MAYBE a 1/2..........anyclue on how this is done?

d88de

the country sausage recipe from the link that terry provided mentioned that you can subsitute 1/2 cup non-fat dry milk for flavor binder 86

hth

d88de

Deud,
I cut my own chops and I like to brine them...I'm not sure how they do the store bought ones, but I start with a brine of 8 cups of water, 1/4 cup of kosher salt and 1/2 cup of sugar.
Then I tweak in any other spices I feel like....garlic and cracked black pepper are some of my favorites.
I brine overnight then smoke.
I do not know if these are like store bought ones though.....I raise my own pork.
smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky