Sausage Makers grinder plate and knife sharpening system ? thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wyfly

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
Has anyone used the Sausage Makers grinder plate and knife sharpening system ? Thoughts ?

The only drawback to using those ones that fit inside the grinder is that it will only hone the cutting surface, not the entire surface of the plate. For occasional touch up-no problem, but IMO they will not replace honing the plates by hand where you can hone the entire plate surface.

Reactions: daveomak
Has anyone used the Sausage Makers grinder plate and knife sharpening system ? Thoughts ?

I purchased them... Used the med and fine for about 3 minutes each....
I want to sell them... U want to buy them ??? for a #10/12 grinder...
$25 and I pay the shipping..

Yup...
I used an etching tool and marked each knife with the corresponding plate size; 3mm, 4.5, 6, etc....I can always match them, even when using multiple grind sizes when grinding a batch of sausage.

indaswamp indaswamp - Ive been looking for etching tool, can you tell me the one you use and what its like please?

indaswamp indaswamp - Ive been looking for etching tool, can you tell me the one you use and what its like please?
Not really sure of the brand. I borrowed it from my Dad. It is a hand held unit, has a small dia. rod with a point that sticks out of the bottom. When you turn it on. it vibrates and makes small dots on the metal. You write with it to mark on metal. Think he got it at Harbor freight, sportsman's guide, northern tool...one of those type places.

You can hone plates easy peasy on a flat surface(cast iron table saw, piece of granite) with some good wet dry silicone carbide paper. Works for knives also. Flat is flat. I guess it would be good to have matched knives and plates, but a bit spendy. If you hone before you grind, it should always be a clean cut. I can tell you this. A good cemented carbide blade will last a long long time if honed. Most problems are with the plates. Buy good carbon steel plates or a quality stainless. I made two plates out of sps (annealed 4140 material) and they have been the best plates I have as far as maintenance is concerned. That is because I knew exactly what I had as far as material is concerned. That said, even a lesser material will give a good grind if they are honed before using. it's only a few minutes more work, and this hobby is a lot of work so it is time well spent.

I use a Dexter-Russel 12" tri-stone and additional Arkansas whetstones to very fine grits for knives, grinder plates etc. As long as they are properly used and stored grinder plates and blades don't need much sharpening, though. I suspect that I "touch them up" more out of habit than actual need.

Best regards to all,

Lance

You can hone plates easy peasy on a flat surface(cast iron table saw, piece of granite) with some good wet dry silicone carbide paper. Works for knives also. Flat is flat. I guess it would be good to have matched knives and plates, but a bit spendy. If you hone before you grind, it should always be a clean cut. I can tell you this. A good cemented carbide blade will last a long long time if honed. Most problems are with the plates. Buy good carbon steel plates or a quality stainless. I made two plates out of sps (annealed 4140 material) and they have been the best plates I have as far as maintenance is concerned. That is because I knew exactly what I had as far as material is concerned. That said, even a lesser material will give a good grind if they are honed before using. it's only a few minutes more work, and this hobby is a lot of work so it is time well spent.
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. You guys are the greatest!

You can hone plates easy peasy on a flat surface(cast iron table saw, piece of granite) with some good wet dry silicone carbide paper. Works for knives also. Flat is flat.

Good catch, Robert

Plate glass is ridiculously flat as compared to many "flat" sheet products and a couple of thicker pieces can be had from most glass shops with the edges smoothed for a pretty reasonable price. Get one or two of those that are bigger than the standard silicone carbide abrasive paper sheets and you have a very inexpensive but versitile large surface system. I have silicone carbide paper up to 1500 (1800?) grit for polishing things and used that system for years to sharpen big timber framing sized "slick" chisels well past shaving sharp.

Best regards,

Lance

WyFly
Here is what I learned, and works for me. CrankyBuzzard's three videos

Reactions: indaswamp

Yeah, I bought this a couple of years ago because, being only an occasional sausagemaker, I realized I had never sharpened my plates and knife in the 10 years or so I owned the grinder. It works, I guess. I wish I had found this forum before then, though. If sandpaper and a flat surface works perfectly, I feel a little cheated.

WyFly
Here is what I learned, and works for me. CrankyBuzzard's three videos

Thank you for taking the time to make these videos. Tried it, worked for me too.

Reactions: Polka and daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky