Sausage explosion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marcus l

Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I made 25lbs of Mild Italian sausage today using Leggs Seasoning and pork butts. All whent well but when I cooked my first 4 links in oven they exploded or burst open. I did perferate befor cooking. Please help.

I made 25lbs of Mild Italian sausage today using Leggs Seasoning and pork butts. All whent well but when I cooked my first 4 links in oven they exploded or burst open. I did perferate befor cooking. Please help.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to  your first qview.  
icon14.gif

Why  not post some pics of before and after.  You may try cooking them in a saucepan with about half an inch of water or beer and see what happens.  Are there any fillers in the spice mix you used?  How hot an oven, was it 400 degrees or closer to 225?   Did you do your own stuffing?  Did you really pack it in there or was the stuff loose enough that you could come back and make links by twisting the casing?

Collagen or natural casings?

Give us a bit more info and maybe we can help.

Al

Sounds like they cooked to hot. Fat will build up between the meat and casing causing a burst.

We need more info like Al mentioned.

Any of these or combination will do it.

To much free water,

To much fat.

Poor bind/ not mixed enough

Cooked to hot or on one side.

Looks & Sounds like you're in good hands here.

Meanwhile, get the flak jacket & helmet out !!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky