satsuma marmalade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
we have a satsuma tree that we get anywhere from 200-300 satsumas off every year .This year instead of giving them away ,I decided to try my hand at canning.  used a recipe from the www and made the marmalade. Came out great but a lil runny. made a second batch and found the problem. now have 24 pints of marmalade.

Enjoyed that so i picked up a couple a pounds of japs and made pepper jelly using alblanchers recipe. again came out great.

Remembered i had 24 pints of strawberries in the freezer, so next venture will be into pressure canning .

Can i use my electric pressure cooker for this ???

Why are you pressure canning strawberries?  Why not make more jam?

If you have an electric pressure cooker that will get to 11lbs? and hold that temp I don't see why you can't use it.  Just never heard of an electric.

Good deal on the Sats.  Did your jalapeno jelly set up?

Al

set up REAL thick. looked like pesto so i put a lil red food color in it.

What i read was that the strawberries are very low in acid so they need to be pressure canned . Maybe i didn't read far enough?

Last edited:
You may want to check the recipe on the pectin.  You shouldn't have any trouble making strawberry jam with a boiling water bath.  I do recommend using a liquid pectin like Certo.  I have had trouble getting strawberry jam to set as thick as I would like using powdered pectin.

I seldom if ever use the pressure canner to make jam.  I use it all the time when canning fruit and vegetables.

On second thought a pressure cooker is not necessarily the same as a pressure canner.  Look at the pressures it will hold and in small batches I don't see why it wouldn't work  Make sure your canning jars are not sitting directly on the bottom of the canner/cooker.

The original recipe did call for a bit of green food coloring but I generally don't worry about that.

i went back and reread and what i was looking at was canning fresh berrys not preserves.

Sounds good Bob also sounds like you just found another hobby
biggrin.gif

icon_cool.gif

It all sounds really good and yummy too Bob. I hoe that you are going to bring some with you to the Gathering at jerry's.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

It all sounds really good and yummy too Bob. I hoe that you are going to bring some with you to the Gathering at jerry's.
since you asked so nicely i'll put up a big jar a marmalade and a jar of pepper jelly . I'll have some strawberry preserves by then too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky