Sassafras wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kansasqueball

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Kansas City suburbs
I went to my wood supplier the other day to replenish my stock of pecan chunks, and they had Sassafras for sale. I've never heard of this wood being used before, so decided to give it a pass. Some research on this site and other corners of the internet give mixed reviews. Some sources say it is unsuitable, and others say it's great.

Has anybody here ever actually smoked with Sassafras, and if so, what do you think about it?

Sassafras contains safrole...which has caused cancer in laboratory rats and has been banned (as an additive) by the FDA. Growing up, my grand mother used to always make sassafras tea for a summer time treat for the family. No one ever got cancer.

I tried a beer this weekend that was aged with Sassafras wood. It was very good. My first thought was using it to smoke with. I am going to have to track some down.

I will say this about sassafras wood.  It's best with pork.  My uncle use to use it all the time.  I'm using it chicken tonight.  I think the flavor is great it's one of my faverate woods.  And the leaves can be dried up and ground to make file.  We use that in our gumbos down here in Louisiana

I use sassafras all the time (Only the root and I cure it for a year or two) for Smoking my hot peppers into pepper flakes
, mixed with a little hickory, and apple, It's the best. Plus, I have a whole forest of it in my back yard.

Still smokin after all these years.

Did some yard cleanup and one of my projects was to trip up the sassafras tree growing at the base of an oak. Not wanting to waste, the leaves are up to dry (having to remove at least 6 cycada just in the process).

I am wondering about the small dead branches and twigs I cleared. Can those be used for smoking as well as is or should I debark them first?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky