Sangiovese Aussie style.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia
Got a box on order,limited run. It's from Clare Valley in South Australia.
Our industry has worked hard at planting varieties that are climate friendly over the last 20 years or so we are now getting Temperanillo,Sangoivese, Touriga even Diavolo Nero from Sicily.
Better way to skin the cat than trying to grow Pinot in 40c summers.
Sometimes it's done straight or we blend it,Sangiovese / shiraz a nice combination.
This is straight more fruit forward & bigger than its done back in Italy. In other words we did it the Aussie way.
I will do something Tuscan inspired. Don't know exactly what yet!

Sounds fantastic Mick!

I look forward to it!

Still stormy here though I am making my way to a pal's for great calamari this weekend (and wine) and will write more when back.

Cheers and fabulous eating & drinking to all! - Leah

Our storms are the tropical kind.Major havoc in Queensland. Linda's son working in Mackay Hospital right in the teeth of category 5  cyclone. Cleaning up starts now,emergency power, lots of houses flattened,he came off duty & slept for 17 hours!

I might do some quail or such with the Sangiovese.

Grape harvest starts March.Plenty of Italians in my 'hood dusting off their wine making gear. Garage full of winemaking stuff & the cars parked on the street
laugh1.gif

The shop near me will be having its expert in on saturday mornings to test grapes & first press ,give advice etc. I was up there last week,new shipment of oak barrels just in. I wish I had a garage
icon_eek.gif

Cyclone Marcia hit land in Queensland,further south than normal. Cyclone Lam hit the northern edge of NT at the same time. Not sure how the fishing camp is.Nobody there in the wet season.

Sangiovese arrived so I might break the weekday wine ban to road test it. I keep drooling over those Japanese charcoal grills that look like a trunk.You have handles on the side & you just set them up on a table because they are so well insulated.Fancy smancy white charcoal part of the deal. 

It would be fun to do some cross cultural octopus ,calamari or the like.

Stay warm.

While I have tasting notes in front of me.

13.5% alcohol,single vineyard ,15 months in oak.Tile red.Only 200 dozen made.

Black & sour cherry,raspberry & stewed plums complimented by dusty savoury & nutty flavours Great tannins,drink now until 2 years. 

Suggested as a match to salami,many cheeses but also big enough to go with roasted meats.

So its fruit forward in style ,earthy,rustic ,bigger than the drier ,lighter Italian style.

The winemaker was the chief winemaker for a real big company for 20 years .This sort of a semi retirement project.

Tempted to have a glass now with my sandwich
drool.gif

Holding it over until tomorrow. I had half a bottle of Cape Jaffa that I couldn't waste.
Cooking for one Sunday night to Tuesday night. I might see if I can do quail just with wine ,garlic,herbs splash of balsamic.

Holy crap, that "Katering Show" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen! Thank you so much for sharing!!
They are hilarious.It was a short series of 8. Not going to get a PG rating! Leah does those presentations for wine & the like so I thought she would get a laugh out of it.

Very distinctive Aussie accents & humour.

Glad you liked it.The thermomix episode is brilliant.

That's it in the glass, impressive & different. I can get the cherry , I get a bit of a bramble dark berry vibe.its fairly dry & dusty. Sangiovese has a strong foothold in the King Valley in Victoria & in parts of S.A.It does remind me of Italian wines but it's a bit heavier & sort of savoury.
Very food friendly .I am having a little spatchcock chicken just marinated in EVO,chilli,lemon,cbp,garlic.
Italians around here gearing up for winemaking season. I wonder what they will make?They seem happy to go back & forth between grape varieties .They have their pick from Cabernet,shiraz,Grenache,merlot even petit Verdot some years. My sources tell me the standout guy is in the next suburb,he also makes great sausages!

This is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Mick!

Terrific to see!

Cheers! - Leah
If you see this here I won't email it to you. I know you don't watch a lot of TV but….

Its a showcase of Tassie they go right around the map
laugh1.gif
 on a sail boat.

Mathew Evans lives in Tassie now & has done 3 series about food & cooking.Makes his own sausages,drinks lots of wine works with the local produce, farmers,meets fisherman.He was a chef ,then a writer.he has old breed pigs,all sorts of stuff.

This is the first episode ,its on tonight episode 3.

Sounds delicious! I am so late to getting online alas, but this looks terrific! (Am watching him now)!

And yes, those gals are the finniest thing ever!!!

You have such fantastic stuff!

Cheers! - Leah

Sounds delicious! I am so late to getting online alas, but this looks terrific! (Am watching him now)!

And yes, those gals are the finniest thing ever!!!

You have such fantastic stuff!

Cheers! - Leah
Those lifestyle shows where harassed city type escapes to country to grow their  food ,rediscover life etc are pretty common. The sailing around Tasmania part makes this one a bit interesting because you get to see so much of the Island & its so lightly populated. The people that stay there or go back there are often involved in food ,wine & tourism. There is very little industry except logging & the odd small scale mine.Its the only state thats going backwards population wise. 

Its a transport hub for the Antarctic & has a serious seafood industry but not a lot of jobs otherwise. I assume they will put up episodes after they are shown.Might give you something to watch until the spring thaw.

The Katering Show is a hoot.Dont you just love the colon logo
laugh1.gif

I just watched another episode of that Tassie show. It's really impressive on several levels. Very honest approach to history of white settlement of black lands. Some hunting& gathering in the latest episode ,native foods.
The sailing is going to get interesting as they head west! You hit the famous roaring 40s trade winds then into true ship wreck country.
Don't normally recommend TV shows because it's really about personal taste but this one is worth checking on YouTube.
It's confirmed that we will do a road trip to Tassie .I have done the far south before but that Wild West coast is intriguing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky