Sand or Water?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
In my personal opinion, sand is ideal and i use it. I use sterile play sand and cover it with clean foil. I haven't used liquids in my water bowl for years. Most of what I smoke is brined or marinated or is fatty and doesn't need the moisture. The sand makes a great heat sink as well. All in all, it's a personal choice. Try both and you'll pick one over the other.

There has always been a disagreement on this subject as to whether water in the pan is really necessary and will sand do. Water or sand will accomplish creating a heat sink but I personally like to put apple juice, or some kind of flavored liquid in my water pan. I do think it adds to the flavor of the meat and I know it creates a moist smoking environment. I put lava rock in the pan when I'm doing jerky because your drying it out. Try it different ways and see which way you like it.

I'm basically with Racy on this one, although I have used both methods. What I asked myself was "do I want to smoke the meat or steam it?" water pan = steam. I'd rather go with lava rock or sand, and spritz or mop if I feel I need the extra moisture.

Experiment with both, and you'll find out what's right for you.

Good luck and good smoking
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

For me I use water or other liquids in my water pan for the heat sink and the moisture during the smoke.

What purpose is that?
icon_question.gif

I use both. If ambient temps are low, sand will allow you a higher and more consistent temp in your smoker. Find moist playbox sand and do as Racey states. You can easily reuse the sand by just adding some water and stirring to the same consistency.
In Florida, if our humidity is high, we really do not need to use water, but still there are some meats I like water in the pan.

Thankz for the info... going to try the sand tomorrow. Its suppose to snow tomorrow, how will that effect my temp? oh by the way? I love this forum! ALOT OF GREAT INFO FROM EVERYBODY! Thank you..

Well the sand will help your temps, that's for sure. Abelman out in Colorado said the sand really helped him thru out their winter months after he started trying it. I know in snow and wind that anything that helps with creating higher temps is welcomed.

The problem with wind that I have experienced is that the gusts will get in and force the hot air out of the smoker. As the smoker starts to build back up, the next gust draws hot air hot and on and on. One really needs a wind break to solve that problem in my personal opinion.

Now if it is just real cold out, you can wrap your smoker with an insulated blanket, a water heater jacket, etc., to help offset the loss of heat.

I'm so glad I live in Florida.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky