Salsa de Cobre

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

d10n

Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Morenci, AZ
I figure I should contribute something to the table here, so here's a classic from my neck of the woods.

As a disclaimer, this turns out with a much thinner consistency than most are familiar with. Like BBQ or food in general, salsas vary from place to place.

Arizona copper towns kind of have their own unique slant on Mexican food, and this is one of those recipes.

Ingredients:

2 large tomatoes (the redder the better)
½ of a white onion
½ tsp minced garlic (fresh is best, but out of the jar is fine)
4 fresh jalapeños (don't use chipotle - it tastes awful in this recipe)
1 Green chile (preferably New Mexico, but any variety will do)
1 pinch of salt (just any old table salt is fine)

Here's the complicated part - cut stems off of peppers and tomatoes, and toss everything into food processor. Pulse until everything is chopped/blended.

For those fortunate enough to have a local tortilleria, serve with fresh yellow corn chips, lightly drizzled with melted butter. For those stuck with bagged, any yellow corn chip (Mission is great) will do.

The yield is fairly small, but the shelf life is very limited. After more than 3 days, the flavor suffers.

D1on,
sounds great, this is similar to a recipe I use. I like to use 4-5 fresh Roma tomatoes (they are a little meatier and less juicy). Also instead of the green chile I add a little fresh cilantro. But I am definitly going to give yours a try.
Also I let mine refrigerate for a while to let the flavors all blend together ....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky