Salmonella Biofilms Extremely Resistant to Disinfectants

Discussion in 'Food Safety' started by daveomak, Jan 23, 2014.

1. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks for sharing Dave. Interesting read.

3. sb59

sb59 Smoking Fanatic

That's why I wipe my cutting boards with straight vodka. Nothing can multiply if you get it drunk enough! Ask any traffic cop.

4. dcarch

dcarch Smoking Fanatic

I am disappointed that they did not also test the use of germicidal UV light which is totally non-toxic.

dcarch

5. daveomak

From what I have read on "UV" ... It penetrates very little ... close to zero... dust on the source, reduces it's effectiveness.... Maybe they did test it and found it to have no effectiveness on "embedded or encapsulated" bacteria... :dunno

6. dcarch

dcarch Smoking Fanatic

I am interested to know because I use a 55 watt germicidal light to disinfect the kitchen area.

UV does have some degree of penetrating power, that's why you can get some sun burn with clothing on. I would assume whatever film the germs develop would be ultra thin.

dcarch

7. daveomak

The sunburn you get is from a shorter longer wave length UV.... Not the same as germicidal..... And cloth is not a 100% blocker... it is a weave..... Dave

FDA calls UV-C at 200-280 nanometers the “germicidal range” because it “effectively inactivates bacteria and viruses.” FDA explains that the “germicidal properties of UV irradiation are mainly due to DNA mutations induced through absorption of UV light by DNA molecules.”

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  8. daveomak

9. dcarch

dcarch Smoking Fanatic

Great readings.

Thanks, Dave.

dcarch

10. daveomak

I thought it was a very good article also...... Amazing how folks can interpret UV Radiation as NUCLEAR RADIATION.... some things I just don't understand..... maybe they don't read this stuff..... OR it isn't explained very well.... :dunno