Salmon two ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scubadoo97

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Florida
My local grocery store had farmed Atlantic salmon on sale for $6.99/lb so I had them cut me a 3 lb section and did a hot and cold smoke. I started by brining the salmon for 6 hours in a salt and sugar brine. For one gallon of water I added 1 1/2 cups of kosher salt and 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar. In the photo an egg is floating in the brine as a quick dirty check for salinity.

After brining the salmon was dried under a fan and cut in half.

I cold smoked one half in the MES. I used the can smoke generator and loaded the drip tray with two frozen foam packs to keep the temps around 70-80*. We have been eating sliced Nova style "lox" for breakfast the last couple of days with a smear of cream cheese, capers and some fresh chopped dill. The other section was cut into 3 servings and hot smoked. I smoked at 190* on the MES for 2 1/2 hours. We ate the hot smoked salmon the first night and the left overs have been used for a smoked fish spread.
65bf6cd0_vbattach20625.jpg

02700681_vbattach20623.jpg

a78bd977_vbattach20624.jpg

53a8681e_vbattach20622.jpg

1e54f64a_vbattach20621.jpg

The cold smoked is wonderful. My wife only likes salmon raw in sushi or as lox. She has been really enjoying this. I like them both but they are very different. The cold smoked is so easy. You can buy a 1 lb fillet any day at the market and be eating cold smoked salmon for breakfast through the week. I smoked it for 2 hours over apple wood. I really good long sharp knife makes slicing very easy. I used a Japanese 270mm sujihiki slicer
6c6793f2_vbattach20626.jpg

7f77c380_vbattach20627.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Never had or tried to make cold smoked salmon (only hot smoked). Gonna have to give it a try now!!

It has been years since I have had lox and bagels. Yours looks wonderful. Haven't tried to make it myself. Too many picky eaters at home

Great Job! Just a couple cold beers is all thats needed now
biggrin.gif

I really enjoy smoked salmon. Usually I hot smoke it with alder an apple. Since I have the mes it might give my cold smoking another kick start.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky