Salmon chowder and cheddar bacon biscuits (keto)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Too cold out to run around for groceries so frig and pantry clean out. I used a 4 lbs. can of salmon to start my personal chopped competition lol. I had a couple cans and used the last one to do salmon patties so wanted to do something different. Ended up making a rich hearty salmon chowder and a batch of keto cheddar bacon biscuits. Used up radishes (potato sub)onions, celery , Mexican crema, heavy cream cream cheese and chicken stock from the frig. Canned salmon , diced tomatoes and tomato paste from the pantry. Old bay, cayenne and other herbs to spice it up. Ended up pretty tasty and good for sub zero temps. The biscuits are awesome and I have posted the recipe for them here before. I did keep notes on the chowder and may try to type them up later this week.
C3904C6B-3959-4333-A5A5-3648CFDD1BD0.jpeg
21466435-8411-438C-B963-8E513CB2733F.jpeg

Attachments

• 2B58F6F2-0559-4D07-8E12-4E582FED0427.jpeg
    2B58F6F2-0559-4D07-8E12-4E582FED0427.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 10
I did keep notes on the chowder and may try to type them up later this week.
Please do, Jeff. Salmon is my wife's favorite fish (more accurately the one at the top of the list of the few she will eat), and this looks like a delicious recipe she would probably like.

Reactions: jcam222
Dang, that is impressive! I’d say more like that Super Market cook show with Guy than chopped though🤣 Or is that chopped? We haven’t had cable in a while🤔 Sorry, that looks delicious and I’m a huge fan of chowders. Looks beautiful, if you type it up I’d definitely try it!

Looks great Jeff!! Nice work on the pantry clean out! I enjoy doing that when im low on things... It's amazing the things you can actually come up with when you think you need to go to the grocery... Very impressive meal here!!

I just had salmon bisque the other day and a cheddar chowder last week...both were delicious.
Now, after seeing your post, salmon chowder has to be the best of both dishes!
I am looking forward to seeing the recipe if you post it.

Remove the hard bark??? We fight over that here! :emoji_laughing:
Please do, Jeff. Salmon is my wife's favorite fish (more accurately the one at the top of the list of the few she will eat), and this looks like a delicious recipe she would probably like.
Dang, that is impressive! I’d say more like that Super Market cook show with Guy than chopped though🤣 Or is that chopped? We haven’t had cable in a while🤔 Sorry, that looks delicious and I’m a huge fan of chowders. Looks beautiful, if you type it up I’d definitely try it!
I just had salmon bisque the other day and a cheddar chowder last week...both were delicious.
Now, after seeing your post, salmon chowder has to be the best of both dishes!
I am looking forward to seeing the recipe if you post it.
Wow Jeff, that looks amazing. Something my wife would really enjoy as well. Post up that recipe!
The salmon chowder looks great; I'm looking forward to the recipe. Meanwhile, I've looked around for your bacon cheddar biscuits recipe and I can't find it.

Guys below are my notes cleaned up into a recipe. It was a frig / pantry clean for me so you can certainly play around with the ingredients. This is the first of my starting to take typing up my recipes a bit more seriously for future potential endeavors. Please let me know if you make it and if so your thoughts. You only bet better through feedback.

Salmon Chowder

Ingredients

• 64 oz. canned salmon
  • 4 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 4 medium onions diced
  • 2 cups chopped celery
  • 6 small packages radishes
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 6 cups heavy cream
  • 2 cups Mexican crema
  • 16 oz. cream cheese
  • 12 cups chicken stock
  • 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • Approximately 1T Old Bay Garlic and Herb
  • Approximately 1 1/2T Fat Boy Captain Ed’s Seafood rub
  • Optional – 1t cayenne
Directions

• Combine chicken broth, heavy cream, Mexican crema, cream cheese and tomato paste and heat until the cream cheese is melted. Once melted puree with an immersion blender.
  • While the broth is heating up chop and sauté the onion, celery and radishes in ½ -1 stick of butter. Cook until soft.
  • Break up the salmon as it is often pretty large pieces. I like to rinse it then.
  • Once the three steps above are complete combine all ingredients and simmer for an hour or two.
Notes – You can likely replace the cream with heavy cream if desired. I think the cream adds another layer of richness and I had it in the refrigerator. For the spices you could just use all Old Bay. The Capt. Eds. Is a pretty traditional seafood spice heavy on rosemary and thyme. For non keto / low carb you could certainly add potato as opposed to radishes. I like to garnish this with sour cream, chives and bacon bits.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky