Salmon and fish smoking process

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whatspapasmokin

Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Eastern Washington
BRINE

2 c water

1 c soy sauce

1 c apple juice

1/8 c salt (do not use iodized salt)

1/2 c brown sugar

1/2 tsp garlic salt

1/2 tsp onion salt

1/2 tsp pepper

cherry or alder wood chips

1. Prep fish. You can use any kind of fish that you want. Small to large depending on your smoker. Large fish need to be cut up in smaller pieces. I have done salmon steelhead and yes
[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]
[endif]

2. You can add red pepper flakes & tobasco to taste.

3. Mix all ingredients for the brine. Mix up really well. Add your fish and leave it covered overnight.

4. Next morning, remove fish. Set on paper towels and dab with paper towels. Do not wipe. Let air dry.

5. Get your smoker ready. Spray racks with a non-stick spray for easier clean-up. I like to maintain my smoker at 115 to 130 degrees

6. Once you see a light sugar crust/shinny film on the fish. Lay fish on racks, skin side down..

7. You will need at least 3 pans chips: Cherry, Apple or Alder wood chips. You can also use 1/2 cherry & 1/2 Apple or Alder for each pan

8. Smoke for 5 to 6 hours or until you get it to the texture you like.

Let me know what you guys think.. would love to try new variations.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky